Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Using Command line to create new folder and symbolic link?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using Command line to create new folder and symbolic link?

HI

An odd request here with an historical reason. Some months back I finally ditched dual booting and reduced my Windows "xperience" to a Virtual machine. I housed the VM in its own partition called "data". Initially I used VMWare but now it's Virtualbox. I subsequently tidied things up and got rid of that partition to increase the size of home. However, I could not figure out how to configure VBox to change the path to the new location. I got round it by creating a folder in the root directory called Data and then a symbolic link to the .vdi file. Worked instantly.

As some of you will know, everything got wiped over the weekend. I'm nearly there and am running Kde 4.4 RC. A problem comes when I launch pretty much any KDE-Centric application as root - Dolphin, Konqueror Adept etc. I get the message "the process for the protocol died unexpectedly". With adept I can then simply press on but with Dolphin and Konqueror it prevents even the display of all icon folders and the "create new" dialog is blanked out. I therefore cannot set up the new folder or the symbolic link.

I have concluded that it's KDE centric because it doesn't happen to GTK applications such as synaptic, and I suspect it's something that will be ironed out as a matter of course. In the meantime can someone help me set with the command line or if there is some desktop-agnostic file manager out there that would enable me to do it that would help too.

Thanks

ian

Re: Using Command line to create new folder and symbolic link?

Links:

> HOWTO find Kubuntu's manual / reference / guide / documentation / help
    > Topic: Commands at Konsole: Beginners
    > Topic: Command line kungfu

Using Command line to create new folder
    man mkdir
    NAME
    mkdir - make directories

SYNOPSIS
    mkdir [OPTION]... DIRECTORY...

DESCRIPTION
    Create the DIRECTORY(ies), if they do not already exist.

Mandatory arguments to long options are mandatory for short options too.

and symbolic link
    man ln
    NAME
    ln - make links between files

SYNOPSIS
    ln [OPTION]... [-T] TARGET LINK_NAME (1st form)
    ln [OPTION]... TARGET (2nd form)
    ln [OPTION]... TARGET... DIRECTORY (3rd form)
    ln [OPTION]... -t DIRECTORY TARGET... (4th form)

DESCRIPTION

In the 1st form, create a link to TARGET with the name LINK_NAME. In the 2nd form, create a link to TARGET in the current directory. In the 3rd and 4th forms, create links to each TARGET in DIRECTORY. Create hard links by default, symbolic links with --symbolic. When creating hard links, each TARGET must exist. Symbolic links can hold arbitrary text; if later resolved, a relative link is interpreted in relation to its parent directory.

Mandatory arguments to long options are mandatory for short options too.
    -s, --symbolic
    make symbolic links instead of hard links
    Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Thanks for that Rog

I got the new folder set up without any problem at all. Setting up the link was a different matter altogether though - it didn't work for me I'm afraid - I must have done a wrong keystroke.

Ironically, After my failure to set up the link from the CLI, I think the system took pity on me as all of a sudden I no longer got the error message and was able to cheat with click and drag

Comment

Originally posted by The Liquidator
        I'm nearly there and am running Kde 4.4 RC. A problem comes when I launch pretty much any KDE-Centric application as root - Dolphin, Konqueror Adept etc. I get the message "the process for the protocol died unexpectedly". With adept I can then simply press on but with Dolphin and Konqueror it prevents even the display of all icon folders and the "create new" dialog is blanked out. I therefore cannot set up the new folder or the symbolic link.

I have concluded that it's KDE centric
        You are aware that:
        ...KDE SC 4.4 RC1 is not stable software, as such, it is not suitable for everyday or production use....
        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Yep, fond of a white knuckle ride!

Comment

I'm more of a KDE 'spectator' - I like to watch as others try out the new ride!
            Windows no longer obstructs my view.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
            X