This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

<SOLVED> OS updates - two computers behaving differently

This isn't urgent, but I'm puzzled by something. I have a desktop (DT) and and laptop (LT) and run Kubuntu 9.10 on both. To the best of my ability, both are running the same applications. KpackageKit just detected and did an OS update on the DT, but with I tried to duplicate it on my LT, the OS said that no updates were available. I've seen this happen a number of times. Eventually, the LT will seem to find and do the updates, but it may take days.

My question: do the Kubuntu servers have every installation ID'd in some database so that it can force a distributed access to updates and thus avoid massive access problems when updates are available?

If not, what else could account for my inability to get both machines to update at essentially the same time?

Very puzzling. Thanks for any thoughts anyone has.

Re: OS updates - two computers behaving differently

I would ventur to say that perhaps you have some sources in your sources.list on one box that arnt in the other?

and it would seam to be some proposed repo or sutch as 9.10 isent upgradabel yet thrugh normal chanels............oops

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Yes, I would look at exactly that, the proposed updates are updates that are still not fully tested, so they are not made official as of yet. Having them active in one of the two machines would explain the behavior. Also, you may want to refresh the packages in the one not showing the upgrades, they may be configured to check for updates at different intervals, or you may be booting one of the two (most likely LT) more frequently, etc ...

Comment

Thanks very much. Makes all the sense in the world, and now I appear to have the problem fixed. Cool.

~t.

Comment

Working...
        X