X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

networkmanagement widget fails to connect to WEP networks

Hi,

I'm trying to connect to a WEP network.
    The networkmanagement widget can't connect to it. It just tells me, that its trying to establish a connection (but never succeeds). No problems with WPA so far.

Anybody else experienced this problem? Has anybody a fix for this? Or should I just switch to wicd?

Cheers
    Jonny

Re: networkmanagement widget fails to connect to WEP networks

Originally posted by jonnybecker
    Hi,

I'm trying to connect to a WEP network.
    The networkmanagement widget can't connect to it. It just tells me, that its trying to establish a connection (but never succeeds). No problems with WPA so far.

Anybody else experienced this problem? Has anybody a fix for this? Or should I just switch to wicd?

Cheers
    Jonny

First be sure your WEP passkey is correct, either a 40 or 128 bit key. WEP is the security part of your connection. Check your DHCP, you may need to add an IP address and a search address, like gnome.org. Be sure all of your numerals in DHCP are separated by hyphens (-) not equal signs(=). When all is correct it should ask you for a password and a confirmation password, then be sure to check Always allow.
    Robert Collard, Springfield, IL<br />Dell Inspiron 1545 Laptop, Intel Duo T3400 CPUs @2.16Ghz<br />Xubuntu 9.10 x86_64

Comment

Hi,

thanks for the quick reply.

First be sure your WEP passkey is correct, either a 40 or 128 bit key.
      The password and keytype (128 bit) is set correctly.

Check your DHCP, you may need to add an IP address and a search address, like gnome.org.
      How do I know, if I have to add an IP address?

By the way: What does "WEP index" mean? Could this be an issue?

Cheers
      Jonny

Comment

Originally posted by jonnybecker
        Hi,

thanks for the quick reply.

First be sure your WEP passkey is correct, either a 40 or 128 bit key.
        The password and keytype (128 bit) is set correctly.

Check your DHCP, you may need to add an IP address and a search address, like gnome.org.
        How do I know, if I have to add an IP address?

By the way: What does "WEP index" mean? Could this be an issue?

Cheers
        Jonny
        Under IPv4 Settings Method you have several choices. Some systems require you to add the IP address under DHCP Addresses only. Try it both ways. As for WEP, you can Google it or check this URL: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=291293
        Robert Collard, Springfield, IL<br />Dell Inspiron 1545 Laptop, Intel Duo T3400 CPUs @2.16Ghz<br />Xubuntu 9.10 x86_64

Comment

Working...
        X