This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

weather forecast widget trouble

I have tried two weather widgets and i just cant get them working, first was simple weather forecast. I got the city number code from yahoo weather. But it just says network not reachable, whereas it was working fine before i changed the city.

The other one i tried is weather forecast, but it cant find my city (weather forecast works fine on my other partition), nor can it even find London :/

Re: weather forecast widget trouble

I am a weather fanatic and have tried all the weather widgets. All of them have issues for me except for Yawp (yet another weather plasmoid). Try it. For me it is the only one that actually works and it is improved constantly.
    Kubuntu 11.10<br />KDE 4.7.3<br />Athlon XP 2000<br />512 MB RAM<br />ATI 64MB Video<br />~11 year old system still kicking :&gt

Comment

I had tried a couple of them before finding one that worked..
      Running Kubuntu 9.1 I actually found that the stock widget works great (once sized accordingly on the desktop you also get a graphic image for snow/freezing rain, sunshine/fog/rain, etc).

The only additional configuring I did for that one was
      1. resize the widget on the desktop
      2. specifiy celcius
      3. specifiy city/region

I like it - it connects as soon as I log in and enable the wireless networking and updates every 30min

Comment

Try "CWP" it works just fine and is VERY customizable.

Package: plasma-widget-customizable-weather

Section : KDE Deskop Environment (universe)

I use the feed from accuweather.com (has a world feed as well as others including separate US feed). Go to web site, access your city and then enter city code from URL into widget.
        [img width=400 height=96]http://img122.imageshack.us/img122/6727/newav1no9.jpg[/img] <br />The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us<br />&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp; [i]Bill Watterson

Comment

both CWP and YAWP work wonderful. i have also never had any luck with the stock weather widget, but i admit i have not tried it since intrepid.
          Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
          (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Tried YAWP for 1st time and love it.

In fact prefer it to CWP.

Thanks for mentioning about it; the weather map with one click is neat.
            [img width=400 height=96]http://img122.imageshack.us/img122/6727/newav1no9.jpg[/img] <br />The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us<br />&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp; [i]Bill Watterson

Comment

In yawp, if you click on the temperature you'll get weather data. If you click on the globe you'll get the weather map you choose in the setup.
              Attached Files
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Where can I find Yawp? I can't seem to locate it in Synaptic.
                Why can&#39;t life be more like Star Trek?

Comment

It is HERE thanks to rog131.

Pay careful attention to the name of the one you download. It must match your architecture and distro. (i386 or amd64 and JJ, KK or LL).
                  "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                  – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Got it. Thanks. Yes, more customizable, but it's not as scalable as CWP.

Why can&#39;t life be more like Star Trek?

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions guys i'll check them out, one thing i've noticed about some of my plasmoids, the weather ones, and gmail one, is that they seem to start before my wireless connects, and thus display network unavailable, is there a way to fix this?

Comment

Originally posted by Falc7
                        Thanks for the suggestions guys i'll check them out, one thing i've noticed about some of my plasmoids, the weather ones, and gmail one, is that they seem to start before my wireless connects, and thus display network unavailable, is there a way to fix this?
                        the network manager starts later then the widgets.. try installing and using wicd, also be sure to if you use wicd , be sure to enable its backend , it can be done.

System Settings->default applications -> network backend.

Comment

I don't have the option for network backend in default applications, possibly beause this is a kde minimal install? I am guessing there is a package to install before it will appear

I have tried it now without installing the backend, and a wired connection is fine, but wireless fails either on obtaining ip address, or disconnecting active connections

Comment

Originally posted by Falc7
                            I don't have the option for network backend in default applications, possibly beause this is a kde minimal install? I am guessing there is a package to install before it will appear

I have tried it now without installing the backend, and a wired connection is fine, but wireless fails either on obtaining ip address, or disconnecting active connections
                            check in your wicd settings (via the try icon) that the wireless is pointed @ the correct card. it will pick wifi0 as default , so if you have installed a driver that changes your wifi adaptor to another dev like ath0 (for arthos driver) then you will need to change it to ath0 or what ever your wifi is.

Comment

When i go preferences, the wireless interface is pointed at wlan0, which i am 99% sure is correct.

I thought perhaps system info would tell me but all it says is that my wireless card is a intel pro/wireless 5300 AGN

I haven't manually installed any drivers to effect the wireless location

Comment

Working...
                              X