Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[Solved]How to Safely update to KDE 4.3.4?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Solved]How to Safely update to KDE 4.3.4?

I just finished setting up kubuntu on my dad's laptop but can't figure out how to update to KDE 4.3.4 as things have changed and the notice on the Kubuntu's site is Konfusing.

Anyone know how to update to KDE 4.3.4 safely?

Re: How to Safely update to KDE 4.3.4?

Simply enable the Karmic backports, do an update and upgrade.
    http://www.kubuntu.org/news
    The repository you want to
    enable looks like:
    deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ karmic-backports main restricted
    universe multiverse

Comment

1. My laptop and my dads laptop does not have that software source by default.

2. There is no check mark for backports. only Pre-Released and Unsuported updates

universe multiverse
      or
      deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ karmic-backports main restricted universe multiverse

4.How do I do an update and upgrade?

ps. I really appreciate the help and shake my head at Kubuntu web site. This is not obvious and not easy for people even like myself who are computer savy.

Comment

Originally posted by wrender
        1. My laptop and my dads laptop does not have that software source by default.

2. There is no check mark for backports. only Pre-Released and Unsuported updates

universe multiverse
        or
        deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ karmic-backports main restricted universe multiverse

4.How do I do an update and upgrade?

ps. I really appreciate the help and shake my head at Kubuntu web site. This is not obvious and not easy for people even like myself who are computer savy.
        You just need to add the above line to software sources using Adept, Kpackagekit or Synaptic ensuring that you also tick the Universe and Multiverse boxes.

Comment

The Unsupported selection is the one you need, no need to go and manually add to or manually edit anything

Comment

I managed to poke around and get it working on my own... but man those update notifications on kubuntu's site are retarded.

Is it hard to just say

1. Enable unsuported updates inside the Settings >Software sources of your Kpackagekit

2. Reload

3. Close Kpackagekit and open a Konsole and enter
            sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

K I am done venting.... don't mind me I am just a linux nut wishing to spread linux goodness to non nerds when dumb **** like this happens and makes me almost rethink my attempts to tell people its easy and friendly and nice... with fuzzy bunnies.

Comment

[quote=wrender ]
              I managed to poke around and get it working on my own... but man those update notifications on kubuntu's site are retarded.

Is it hard to just say

1. Enable unsuported updates inside the Settings >Software sources of your Kpackagekit

2. Reload

3. Close Kpackagekit and open a Konsole and enter
              sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

I suppose that people assumed that after 163 posts you knew about apt-get

Comment

Hey, I am working on that website blurb right now . But think perhaps that making these things too easy isn't always a good thing for those seeking a stable system, at least in my own opinion.

BUT it also isn't 100% as simple as your brief instructions would show. Especially as there are many things in there that might make it even more confusing for some.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh
                  Hey, I am working on that website blurb right now . But think perhaps that making these things too easy isn't always a good thing for those seeking a stable system, at least in my own opinion.

BUT it also isn't 100% as simple as your brief instructions would show. Especially as there are many things in there that might make it even more confusing for some.
                  It certainly wouldn't hurt if there some clear and simple instructions on the Kubuntu.org website, maybe Project Timelord will address these issues?

http://www.kubuntu.org/news/timelord

Comment

No, just more folks helping write stuff, like wiki pages for some of these subjects, so that the website editors have some material to work with. We are a community, after all It's not people up in some skyscraper somewhere doing all this

And do remember, this is for an unsupported upgrade.

Comment

Sorry for attacking your blurbs... pent up stress came out in a wrong way.

ps. If we all work together to make things as easy as possible it won't take users 165 posts to figure out how to get back to their lives instead of tinkering with computers.

Comment

ps. If we all work together to make things as easy as possible it won't take users 165 posts to figure out how to get back to their lives instead of tinkering with computers.
                        There certainly needs to be a single source where people can find basic info, currently it is spread around and that is not good.

Comment

Re: [Solved]How to Safely update to KDE 4.3.4?

Definitely did not take it that way at all btw, this post made me contact the dev team to see about changing the original announcement (which was not done by me). Then I found that the wiki page I had created on managing repositories did not mention the section relevant to enabling backports, so I had to go and fix that so that we could simply link to it instead of re-writing the instructions every time. That is where the wiki, under-utilized though it is, comes in to play.

Again, this is where the community and the official wiki are useful.

Comment

Working...
                          X