This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

(Solved) Black screen after using desktop settings - plasma workspace

I was testing out the features in the desktop settings when I selected the "Folder view" that has given me a black screen and I know I'm in the system but all I see is the mouse arrow and when I press control-alt-del the log out screen appears. However, everything else stays blank and I can not open any thing just by clicking the mouse on the screen where I know where an Icon should be. I rebooted in save mode and regular mode and still black screen upon log in.

How do I get my desktop back without reinstalling a clean boot? I've tried the live disk and I can access the hard drive so I could backup everything on it if I have to. But I don't want to if at all possible.

I do not think it is a video problem because I had a perfect picture up until I pushed the folder view option.

Any advise will be greatly appreciated.

Bright Blessings
    Tiny1

Re: black scren after using desktop settings - plasma workspace

Hi

You may want to just reset all the plasma (desktop) configs. From the LIVE CD:

1. type in a terminal "kdesudo dolphin" to start dolphin as super user.
    2. navigate to /home/your_user_name/.kde
    3. Inside there, go to "share/config" (I am typing this by heart, the folder names might be slightly off).

Now create a backup subfolder, and move everything that starts with "plasma" to that backup folder.

Next time you boot from the HD, you should get default settings for the desktop.

Another (simpler but more intrusive) way is to simply rename .kde into something else, say .kde.backup -- this way you will lose ALL of your KDE settings, so this is not really recommended.

Good luck!

Comment

Re: black scren after using desktop settings - plasma workspace

lmilano; Thanks for the help. I did as you suggested and I was able to retrieve my default settings. I know better than to try the folder view now.
      Again thanks, I have a very acceptable karmic kubuntu up and running the way it should be.

Bright Blessings
      Tiny1

Comment

Re: (Solved) Black screen after using desktop settings - plasma workspace

You too! Thanks for the feedback!

Comment

Working...
        X