This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] apt-get update ends with errors I don't understand

I installed a clean 9.10 (i.e. not an upgrade) a week ago, and while it's a bit slow, most things are working well and it's really lovely visually. My big problems are multimedia-related; Amarok is sucking and non-Flash videos are jerky. So I'm trying to make sure I've got up-to-date codecs from Medibuntu, et cetera.

Along the way I'm running into problems when I install from the command line. "sudo apt-get update" ends with the following text. Can someone explain what I should do to fix this? And of course if other info is needed I'll retrieve and post it.

W: Failed to fetch cdrom://Kubuntu 9.10 _Karmic Koala_ - Release i386 (20091028.5)/dists/karmic/main/binary-i386/Packages.gz Please use apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT. apt-get update cannot be used to add new CD-ROMs

W: Failed to fetch cdrom://Kubuntu 9.10 _Karmic Koala_ - Release i386 (20091028.5)/dists/karmic/restricted/binary-i386/Packages.gz Please use apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT. apt-get update cannot be used to add new CD-ROMs

E: Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old ones used instead.
    Kubuntu #19517 (but of course I am not a number, I am a free man!)

Re: apt-get update ends with errors I don't understand

You still have your cdrom repository 'active' - it should be commented.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

[SOLVED] Re: apt-get update ends with errors I don't understand

Eeyep, that fixed it! Though KPackageKit crashed the first time I tried to uncheck the cdrom repository, everything is now working fine. Many thanks!

Comment

Re: [SOLVED] apt-get update ends with errors I don't understand

Make sure that you've run sudo apt-get update since the change so that your package cache is 'up to date.'
        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Re: [SOLVED] apt-get update ends with errors I don't understand

Did so, many thanks! I've updated everything I can find. Videos are still a bit jerky but progress is being made, thanks to the contributions of Snowhog and others, all of whom are appreciated!

- ced

Comment

Working...
          X