Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

<SOLVED> Digikam-doc installed...to some distant universe? (rant warning!)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

<SOLVED> Digikam-doc installed...to some distant universe? (rant warning!)

I simply hate this. It's plain stupid. No justification for this crap.

Digikam is installed WITHOUT documentation. What a clever idea! Let's hire that guy.

I find the documentation - in package digikam-doc, and install it. And it's nowhere to be found. Doesn't appear in the menu. Synaptic never tells where things are put. I have to be a minor league Linux geek and memorize the linux file system to figure this out, but what's the point? Programmers install their stuff wherever anyway.

So, I get to do a
    Code:
    locate
    - whoa there cowboy - did you update the system file database (
    Code:
    updatedb
    ).

And all I wanted was to know what to do with pieces of the increasingly rich digikam interface.

This damn thing is simply too hard to use, and there's no excuse for it. Someone, somewhere, needs to stop dragging sticks and stones in from the forest and just clean up their bedroom.

Definitely a major usability issue. But who cares?

Re: Digikam-doc installed...to some distant universe? (rant warning!)

This doesn't exactly solve all the embedded stupidity I just dirtied myself with, but...

I reinstalled Adept, having recalled that it gives me a lot more information than Synaptic. It's been updated and is quite nice, I find, AND IT TELLS WHERE THE HELL STUFF IS STORED. Now, surely that's cheating, yes? But it's also smart. I might actually be able to USE the installed file, now that I can find it.

I like smart. Works for me.

So...why isn't this baby installed by default instead of Synaptic? Oh...I forgot...that would be cheating. Linux is supposed to be better than Windows (it is) but remain inscrutable to mere mortals. Please let Canonical know they're doing just fine, OK?

Now, "/user/share/doc/digikam-doc" turns out NOT to contain user documentation. Well, of course.

Searching the only other possibility pointed to in adept's helpful display, "/user/share/doc/kde", I get down to "/usr/share/doc/kde/HTML/en/digikam". Only there's no html here at all. I cannot find a start page. It's all *.png and *.docbook files.

I'm now close to 45 minutes into this absurdity, and it appears that the documentation I seek is right in front of me. And I have NO idea how to read it. Or where it starts.

I'm close to speechless at this point. Why do we tolerate this? I'm off to the digikam site to chew on someone's butt.

Comment

K > Applications > Help > Application Manuals and then click on the location that Digikam was listed under. That is where you should find the manual.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Code:
        man digikam

Comment

Digikam is installed WITHOUT documentation.
          Packages could (> Debian Policy Manual Chapter 7 - Declaring relationships between packages ):
          Depends

This declares an absolute dependency. A package will not be configured unless all of the packages listed in its Depends field have been correctly configured...

Recommends

This declares a strong, but not absolute, dependency...

Suggests

This is used to declare that one package may be more useful with one or more others.
          The digikam is suggesting digikam-doc:
          apt-cache show digikam

Package: digikam
          Suggests: digikam-doc
          Recommended packages are installed as default (> Re: Karmic Release Schedule, Plans, KDE 4.3 - FINAL) > Karmic Koala Release Notes:
          Recommended packages installed by default

In accordance with the Debian Policy Manual (which says "The 'Recommends' field should list packages that would be found together with this one in all but unusual installations"), the package management system now installs packages listed in the Recommends: field of other installed packages as well as Depends: by default. If you want to avoid this for specific packages, use apt-get --no-install-recommends; if you want to make this permanent, set APT::Install-Recommends "false"; in /etc/apt/apt.conf. Be aware that this may result in missing features in some programs.

(This change was made in Ubuntu 8.10.)
          Synaptic: Right click a package > Mark Suggested for Installation

More:
          > How to configure apt-get to install suggested packages?
          > apt-get recommended/suggested package [solved]
          > Aptitude: How to install suggested packages automatically?

I find the documentation - in package digikam-doc, and install it. And it's nowhere to be found.
          > HOWTO find Kubuntu's manual / reference / guide / documentation / help

Starting the Digikam: Help > Digikam Handbook (or pressing F1)
          or (as the Snowhog wrote)K > Applications > Help > Application Manuals

Synaptic never tells where things are put.
          Synaptic: Pick a package, click the Properties (or right click the package) > Installed Files tab
          (> FAQ: Package Managers -> Synaptic)

So...why isn't this baby installed by default instead of Synaptic?

Kubuntu default is the KPackageKit

This is Linux, there are lot of application and you could use whatever works with you. The developers are setting some applications as default applications but you don't have to use them...

Searching the only other possibility pointed to in adept's helpful display, "/user/share/doc/kde", I get down to "/usr/share/doc/kde/HTML/en/digikam". Only there's no html here at all. I cannot find a start page. It's all *.png and *.docbook files.
          > HOWTO find Kubuntu's manual / reference / guide / documentation / help
          Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
          1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
          2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Actually, in case my earlier reference was not understood. Here is what it says:
            The full documentation for digikam is maintained as a html manual in
            the package digikam-doc. The command

khelpcenter help:/digikam

gives you access to the complete manual.
            So, it does tell you - and in the most obvious place too.

PS: I did a copy and paste - I would never write "a html", although it is rather cute. 8)

Comment

Thanks to all for the wealth of information. I'd rather it be out there - and I missed it - than that it not be there, period. I'm going to study all this, and try not to get lost like this again.

But...no more time today.

Comment

Working...
              X