This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Fixed] Odd problem: Panels can't be resized in K3b or Amarok

I recently installed the latest KDE 4.4 beta, decided I didn't like it, then reverted back to KDE 4.3.4 -- I did a version search in Synaptic for "4.3.85", purged all the packages with that version, then installed kubuntu-desktop. The process went without a hitch, but I have noticed odd behavior in Amarok and K3b. In Amarok, I can't resize the "now playing" list, and in K3b, I can't resize the project panel at the bottom of the screen. When I try, they just snap back to their original size. See the images below:

I've tried purging the apps and deleting all settings files, and doing a fresh install, but it hasn't helped. These are the only two programs I'm having problems with. Does anybody have any ideas?

Re: Odd problem: Panels can't be resized in K3b or Amarok

So I'm guessing by the lack of replies that this is a unique problem. I hate it when that happens.

Comment

From the images you posted, it appears that you are missing the window boarders. The package kwin (a dummy):
      Description: the KDE 4 window manager (KWin)
      This package contains KWin, the KDE 4 window manager, featuring hardware-accelerated
      compositing effects.
      This package is part of the KDE 4 base workspace module.
      This is a dummy package to depend on the new kde-window-manager, it can be safely
      removed.
      See if you have kde-window-manger installed.
      Windows no longer obstructs my view.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
        From the images you posted, it appears that you are missing the window boarders.
        That's because I told KSnapshot not to include windows borders in the screen grab.

The screenshots were just to show what panels I was referring to.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man
          So I'm guessing by the lack of replies that this is a unique problem. I hate it when that happens.
          No. My Amarok got wonky too when I updated to KDE 4.4. RC1. I can't resize the playlist anymore, and the library/collection panel is very narrow and likewise "frozen" unless detached from the main application window.

Comment

Well, good to know I'm not alone. Apparently 4.4 broke something (but only in two programs; strange), and downgrading back to 4.3.4 doesn't fix it. What support packages, if any, were included in the update? Perhaps downgrading those will resolve this issue.

Comment

I had the same problem right after I installed 4.4, but a reboot seems to have fixed it.

Comment

What do you mean by a "reboot"? Do you mean simply shutting down the machine and starting it up again? I've done that a number of times since encountering this problem, and it hasn't fixed it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man
                  Well, good to know I'm not alone. Apparently 4.4 broke something (but only in two programs; strange), and downgrading back to 4.3.4 doesn't fix it. What support packages, if any, were included in the update? Perhaps downgrading those will resolve this issue.
                  For now I'll be using Songbird instead...

At least K3B's window layout is still behaving normally.

Comment

Yeah, I started using Songbird which I actually like better than Amarok, in part because it reads the album cover image embedded in the MP3 so I don't have to go through the rigmarole of downloading them from Amazon and then manually fixing all the ones that are wrong. k3b is usable but annoying since I still can't resize that damn lower panel.

Comment

I like it, too. Now if only the last.fm plugin worked -- seems it can't log in from non-US locales.

Comment

I have the same problem in K3B, so far as I can tell it's an issue retaining the "lock panels" option. I also found a really weird temporary work-around. I was messing around trying to "trick" the menu into staying put and I found that while dragging the bar up to resize the projects section, if i right clicked while still holding down the menu in place.. then clicking the "lock panels" (which usually unchecks it) it would stay. But if you try to resize it again it will go back. I will probably report this bug later if I have time and it is not already reported. At least I could temporarily see my burn list, it's not a perm` fix but it's good enough for me right now because I use K3B alot.
                        Linux User #481054<br />Kubuntu User #24956

Comment

I reported it here:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...3b/+bug/515132
                          Linux User #481054<br />Kubuntu User #24956

Comment

I'll try the workaround and report back.

Oddly enough, Amarok seemed to have magically fixed itself, so now I can resize its panels without any problems, but I still prefer Songbird, so I uninstalled Amarok.

Re: the k3b workaround, it offers only a temporary fix for me. I can get the panel to stay where I want, but if I click around in the other panels and then move the mouse cursor back into the project panel, it'll snap back down to the bottom like in my screenshots in the OP.

By the way, I'm using KDE 4.4 now since that has been officially released.

Comment

Re: [Fixed] Odd problem: Panels can't be resized in K3b or Amarok

The problem seems to be fixed now. I recently upgraded to KDE 4.4.1, but I don't remember if K3b was included in the update. At any rate, whatever the problem was seems to have been resolved, at least for me as K3b's panels are now behaving as they should.

Comment

Working...
                              X