This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED][pretty much] Cheese and Camorama worked with 8.04, don't with 9.10

Yesterday I did a clean install of 9.10 and the new OS is nice.

However, Cheese and Camorama no longer access my webcam. They both worked fine yesterday morning, but I can't get them to work since I installed 9.10. Cheese freezes on the first frame, and Camorama can't connect to the camera. Yes, I've checked to see that the camera is plugged in; it lights up when I run Cheese or Camorama or Skype, but I don't get video from it. It's a Logitech Quickcam Communicate STX, but I don't think that should matter, I didn't have a specialized driver for it on 8.04 as far as I know.

Any suggestions on what I could try?

Happy Solstice!
    - ced
    Kubuntu #19517 (but of course I am not a number, I am a free man!)

Re: Cheese and Camorama worked with 8.04, don't with 9.10

Expectations that what worked in a release that is four back from the one being used now is unrealistic. Many changes have taken place since Hardy. Karmic is 'not your fathers Kubuntu.'

You might gain some insight here.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Re: Cheese and Camorama worked with 8.04, don't with 9.10

Is that to say that my hardware that works fine is to be cast aside? That would be environmentally unfriendly, to say the least.

But your link does in fact help. Editing the menu command to insert a compatibility layer, e.g. switching

to

bash -c 'LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so skype'

worked for Skype and Camorama, but not Cheese. Skype was what I wanted most, so that's something.

Many thanks!

- ced
      Kubuntu #19517 (but of course I am not a number, I am a free man!)

Comment

Re: [SOLVED][pretty much] Cheese and Camorama worked with 8.04, don't with 9.10

Glad I was able to provide some help. Don't give up on Cheese yet.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
        X