This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vi vs. Emacs: console text editors

If we're going to start a vi vs. emacs dispute, let's do it in a separate thread.

Personally, as a bad typist, I like Emacs. My daughter (a computer science professional) likes vi, but she's a good typist. Why does that matter? Most commands (as distinct from text entry) in emacs are performed with ctl and alt keys (which require good typists to remove their fingers from the stenographic home keys). Bad typists, are typing with only a few fingers and hunting for keys, so they prefer to avoid the multi-keystroke commands of vi.

Nonetheless, I feel that I must have failed somehow as a parent.

Vi vs. Emacs: console text editors

Originally posted by askrieger
    If we're going to start a vi vs. emacs dispute, let's do it in a separate thread.
    Feel free to split the thread then, Mr. Moderator

I listened to an interview with Rob Savoye, developer of Gnash today. In it he says that he uses Emacs much of the time, but admits VI is good for quick edits of files. He says he likes the way Emacs handles multiple files simultaneously, but that VI can do a few tricks Emacs can't.

It's not a big deal to me. I use Emacs when I can, and VI when I must. Just a matter of personal preference really. My first exposure to VI didn't go so well, but I found Emacs to be much easier to learn.
    Welcome newbies!
    Verify the ISO
    Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

Working...
    X