X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Sound is unstable and dies

Hello.

I am running a fresh install of Kubuntu 9.10. From the beginning I had trouble playing flash audio, such as YouTube and MySpace: I got no sound out of them. I did some searching and googling and tried various things: Re-installing flashplugin, changing my sound device (System Settings -> Multimedia -> Device Preference) and installing or removing pulseaudio.

In the process I have made the problem worse. I still have no sound in flash, and moreover, my sound has become very unstable. Sometimes my sound just dies, after which no processes will play any sound at all. When this happens, I occasionally get a pop-up box saying: "The audio playback device HDA Intel (AD198x Analog) does not work. Falling back to PulseAudio."

The problem seems to happen when I try to play sound in multiple processes, such as by playing a song in Amarok and then opening a video file in some video player. When this happens, Amarok will keep playing the current song, but when the track ends Amarok will fall mute. Nothing short of a reboot seems to cure this.

Right now I have pulseaudio installed. Under "System Settings -> Multimedia -> Device Preference" I have two devices visible: "PulseAudio" and "HDA Intel (AD198x Analog)". I have tried setting either of them as the first preferred device, but the problem persists in both cases.

In Kmix I have all channels set to maximum volume and not muted.

Can anyone help me fix this?

1. First of all, how can I resurrect my sound system when it dies?
    2. Second, how can I prevent it from dying?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Sound is unstable and dies

I think I solved it. I removed pulseaudio and rebooted, and now it seems to work. I thought I had already tried that, but there we are.

Comment

Working...
    X