X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] wicd / wifi connection

Hi guys,

I have a strange behavior when I tray a connection with wicd: wicd says "connected to ......etc" but I don't surf on internet (firefox says to check the connection ....etc).

I discovered that this problem disappears when I execute on the terminal the "dhclient" after running wicd and now all works why ??

do you have any ideas ??

thanks

Dual-booting:<br />Kubuntu: Karmic Koala (Main OS)<br />Windows:Vista Home Premium<br />--------------------------------------------------------------<br />Sony Vaio&nbsp; VGN-NR21Z - 2 Duo processor T8100<br />Graphics nvidia GeForce 8400M GT GPU

Re: wicd / wifi connection

let's go guys, any ideas

Dual-booting:<br />Kubuntu: Karmic Koala (Main OS)<br />Windows:Vista Home Premium<br />--------------------------------------------------------------<br />Sony Vaio&nbsp; VGN-NR21Z - 2 Duo processor T8100<br />Graphics nvidia GeForce 8400M GT GPU

Comment

How are you connected to the Internet: Wire/Wireless router? Wireless 'hot spot' (cafe)?
      Windows no longer obstructs my view.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
        How are you connected to the Internet: Wire/Wireless router? Wireless 'hot spot' (cafe)?
        I'm using a wireless router connection and Kubuntu 9.10, kernel 2.6.31-16-generic.
        In addition the connection with the 9.10 require a lot of time about 30 minutes every time while with Kubuntu 9.04, kernel 2.6.28-15-generic is immediate.
        maybe are there kernel problems ??

thanks in advanced

Comment

Okay. We need to know about your wireless setup. What make/model of router? What make/model of wireless card/device/chip? As to the latter, open a console and type:
          Code:
          lspci | grep Ethernet

Comment

Okay. We need to know about your wireless setup. What make/model of router? What make/model of wireless card/device/chip? As to the latter, open a console and type:
            following my wireless setup:
            modem-router:
            Code:
             D-LINK ; DSL-G624T wireless G ADSL2 +
            wireless card :
            Code:
            02:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88E8039 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller [11ab:4353] (rev 15)
            06:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 4965 AG or AGN [Kedron] Network Connection [8086:4229] (rev 61)
            as said in previously post I use wicd and the following is the present configurations:
            Code:
            xgrass@Kid:~$ sudo cat /var/lib/wicd/configurations/001b113d2e4e
            ap_scan=1
            ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
            network={
                ssid="DLINK_WIRELESS"
                scan_ssid=0
                proto=WPA RSN
                key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
                pairwise=CCMP TKIP
                group=CCMP TKIP
                psk=**************** (replaced by Snowhog - Global Moderator -- NEVER provide your
            real psk in your messages!)
            }
            xgrass@Kid:~$
            the following are the files resol.conf, interfaces & wpa_supplicant.conf for manual connection updated after installing "wicd"
            Code:
            xgrass@Kid:/etc$ cat resolv.conf
            nameserver 192.168.1.1
            Code:
            xgrass@Kid:/etc/network$ cat interfaces
            auto lo
            iface lo inet loopback

####################### start wlan0  wireless connection ############
            # -- tutto commentato xche uso wicd x attivare la connessione wireless ------
            #commento auto wlan0
            #commento iface wlan0 inet dhcp
             #commento wireless-essid DLINK_WIRELESS
             #commento wireless-channel 11
             #commento wireless-mode managed
            ########################## start wpa_supplicant ##################
             #commento wpa-driver wext
             #commento wpa-conf /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf

######################   end wlan0  wireless connection  #########

xgrass@Kid:/etc/network$
            Code:
            xgrass@Kid:/etc$ cat wpa_supplicant.conf
            ######################### start section for supplicant  ################
            # -- tutto commentato xche uso wicd x attivare la protezione WPA e
            # -- la key "VIVIFEDEGO54" alla rete wireless DLINK_WIRELESS --
            #commento network={
             #commento ssid="DLINK_WIRELESS"
             #commento psk="**my key***"
             #commento key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
             #commento proto=WPA
             #commento pairwise=CCMP TKIP
            #commento }
            ############################## end section  ################################
            xgrass@Kid:/etc$
            thanks in advance

Comment

sandro54@

I edited your last post and removed/replaced the psk key you identified. This is a VERY BAD practice - NEVER, NEVER, NEVER provide your psk key in any posts. You opened your PC for hacking. I STRONGLY suggest that you change your psk key on your router immediately.

Comment

sandro54@

I edited your last post and removed/replaced the psk key you identified. This is a VERY BAD practice - NEVER, NEVER, NEVER provide your psk key in any posts. You opened your PC for hacking. I STRONGLY suggest that you change your psk key on your router immediately.
                you are right , I will do it at once

Thank you very much

Comment

I think your problem is that your resolv.conf file is NOT loaded with the DNS IP of your ISP
                  nameserver 192.168.1.1
                  192.168.*.* is reserved for local LANS and isn't accessible by or to the Internet. The dhclient application loads it correctly, but your installed connection app does not.
                  "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                  – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek
                    I think your problem is that your resolv.conf file is NOT loaded with the DNS IP of your ISP
                    nameserver 192.168.1.1
                    192.168.*.* is reserved for local LANS and isn't accessible by or to the Internet. The dhclient application loads it correctly, but your installed connection app does not.
                    great , after having changed the above 192.168.*.* with DNS primary (193.70.192.25) and DNS secondary (192.70.etc..) of my provider all works at last. I setup these DNS by "wicd" using DNS Server 1 and DNS Server 2 fields.

thanks very much GreyGeek

Comment

Re: [SOLVED] wicd / wifi connection

i would also check to make sure that you router is set to foward DNS requests ......(that is so you can use it as your nameserver). if i am not mistaken almost all d-link and linksys routers do this by default.
                      Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
                      (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Working...
                      X