Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VPN connection works from commandline, but not from network manager (su issue?)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VPN connection works from commandline, but not from network manager (su issue?)

I'm running the 64bit version of 9.10 at home, and I often need a vpn connection to my workplace.
    I have vpnc installed, and a conf file in my home dir with the correct settings.

From the command line, 'sudo vpnc ./vpnsettings.conf' works perfectly. However, just 'vpnc ./vpnsettings.conf' does not (just hangs forever, no error message or return to prompt'.

Similarly, setting the parameters from the conf file in the network managers 'VPN connections' tab results in an entry in the listed connections, which however doesn't connect.

Is this a known problem (couldn't find anything with a quick search), and is there a way around this? Can I maybe give the network manager su rights to establish a vpn connection?

Re: VPN connection works from commandline, but not from network manager (su issue?)

Ok, guys: Correction. I wrote the earlier post from the office and from memory. Turns out it was incomplete.

When I try to 'vpnc ./vpnsettings.conf' without sudo, it doesn't just fail without a comment, not at all.
    Rather, it connects and asks for my credentials, but then aborts with the following:

Code:
    vpnc: Error binding to source port. Try '--local-port 0'
    Failed to bind to 0.0.0.0:500: Permission denied
    If I follow that, and try 'vpnc ./vpnsettings.conf --local-port 0' , I get

Code:
    sh: /etc/vpnc/vpnc-script: Permission denied
    vpnc: can't initialise tunnel interface: Operation not permitted
    Hope that additional info helps.

Comment

Working...
    X