This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

64 bit kernal

They next version will be coming out in April??

I have been staying with the 32 bit kernal since I read 1 or 2 version back that the 64 bit kernal wasn't as stable as the 32 bit kernal and that the apps were more sparse.

So what is the current status of the 64 bit kernal?? Is it as stable as the 32 bit now?

What is the status of apps??

I would like to migrate to the 64 bit kernal on the next upgrade and migrate my '/' directory to ext4 (I have already migrated all other partitions to ext4). Irregardless of the 64 bit krnal, I will migrate the '/' partition to ext4.

So what is your opinion of the 64 bit kernal vs. the 32 bit kernal??

Re: 64 bit kernal

I would say you got some bad information when you read that. I've been using 64-bit kernels on several Linux distributions, for over 3 years, and I have not seen a repeatable stability issue.

Of course, the presence or absence of "features" varies, depending on the developer's taste and choices for building the kernel. Just like 32-bit kernels, it might or might not be able to use every bit of your particular hardware setup.

As for packages, the *buntu packagers build a 64-bit package for pretty much every standard 32-bit package, so you'll have to work long and hard to find an example of a 32-bit package that does not have a matching 64-bit package. Mostly those issues pop up on non-free binary stuff like Skype.

Comment

I ran the 32 bit Kubuntu 9.04 since last February, as my first foray into Kubuntu, because of that story. (And the fact that I had never owned a 64bit machine before this one and only realized later that it was 64bit! ) I liked the 1600X900 screen and the slim profile!) I was running the 32bit 9.04 on my 40GB second partition, while VISTA was on the first 140 Gb partition. I hadn't booted to VISTA often enough since I bought this laptop a year ago last August, so I decided to install the 64bit version of Kubuntu 9.10, when it was beta last summer, replacing the VISTA partition, just to test that rumor. Now I have 140Gb with 64bit 9.10 and 40Gb with the 32bit 9.04. The 64bit Kubuntu 9.10 is easily 20% faster with just about everything and I have had ZERO problems. I am never returning to a 32 bit OS.
      When you install a 32 bit the dependencies check will install the lib-i32 library which allows running 32 bit apps. I have never had a problem running 32 bits on this 64 bit processor, and I have everything but the kitche sink loaded on to the 64bit partition, except SAGE, which I may load up this next week.

When Lucid Lynx goes Gold I am going to delete both partitions and make it all one big 180GB HD with the 64bit LL 10.4 on it.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I've been using 64 bit Jaunty on my newest machine for some time now. I haven't yet found any reason to go back to the 32 bit kernel.
        Welcome newbies!
        Verify the ISO
        Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek
          When Lucid Lynx goes Gold I am going to delete both partitions and make it all one big 180GB HD with the 64bit LL 10.4 on it.
          A different strategy - I learned this from the experts here and it has saved me a LOT of grief.

Use at least 2 partitions. A smaller partition for '/' and a larger partition for '/home'

This allows you to upgrade by a fresh install without bombing your home directory and losing all of your 'settings'

Also, if you have more than one HDD, you can do a simple backup of all of your '/home' with a simple 'cp' command to the second HDD. I have been doing that since I lost an HDD recently - peace of mind with redundancy.

Comment

Ok - good to hear the above.

I will upgrade to the 64 bit version on the next upgrade.

Are there any changes that I should look out for in my Home directory in the hidden files? Maybe changes that conflict with the 32 bit version?

Comment

Originally posted by geezer

Are there any changes that I should look out for in my Home directory in the hidden files? Maybe changes that conflict with the 32 bit version?
              I don't know if it is even possible to upgrade from 32 bit to 64 bit. I would recommend copying your home directory (and any other valuable data) to external media and doing a clean install.
              Welcome newbies!
              Verify the ISO
              Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

Originally posted by Telengard
                I don't know if it is even possible to upgrade from 32 bit to 64 bit.
                It isn't

But - if you've got a good backup of /home, /etc and a list of installed packages you can generally make the switch fairly quickly.
                we see things not as they are, but as we are.
                -- anais nin

Comment

Here's my view (since DOS 2.0): there is data, and there is software. You want to keep them separate. You want to back up the data, early and often. You don't worry about the software, because you can (and will) reinstall it at a future date, or upgrade it. I don't even use a separate partition for /home. I just symlink in my data folders from their separate partitions. /home is full of "settings" and will not support changing the Linux OS that is using it. Better to let each OS have it's own /home directory, to avoid problems with the configuration settings.

Comment

Originally posted by Telengard

I don't know if it is even possible to upgrade from 32 bit to 64 bit. I would recommend copying your home directory (and any other valuable data) to external media and doing a clean install.
                    I keep my '/home' directory on a different partition so that it stays intact through a fresh install. Also, since I had an HDD failure recently, I backup everything on the '/home' directory to 2 separate HDDs daily. Also, all really important data is copied to 2 separate 8 GB flash drives as it changes. I lost the '/home' directory once and had to recreate from parts on separate CDs and DVDs. Do not want to replicate that experience again.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
                      Here's my view (since DOS 2.0): there is data, and there is software. You want to keep them separate. You want to back up the data, early and often. You don't worry about the software, because you can (and will) reinstall it at a future date, or upgrade it. I don't even use a separate partition for /home. I just symlink in my data folders from their separate partitions. /home is full of "settings" and will not support changing the Linux OS that is using it. Better to let each OS have it's own /home directory, to avoid problems with the configuration settings.
                      Thanks dibl - I read of your approach some time back. It intrigues me and I think it has a lot of merit. Right now I'm just too lazy to do the initial work to work out all of the partitions and their sizes and what to put into them. With 3 HDDs and over 1 TB and since my '/home' directory is only about 22 GB, I know I have the room, just not the incentive right now.

Comment

Thanks dibl - I read of your approach some time back. It intrigues me and I think it has a lot of merit. Right now I'm just too lazy to do the initial work to work out all of the partitions and their sizes and what to put into them. With 3 HDDs and over 1 TB and since my '/home' directory is only about 22 GB, I know I have the room, just not the incentive right now.
                        Well, we can't fix lazy
                        we see things not as they are, but as we are.
                        -- anais nin

Comment

I use 64bit. There used to some issue with java, but that's all worked out now...at least for me anyway.

Comment

my server runs 64-bit upmost of the time, no issues.. also my desktop runs 64-bit. no issues there either.

i use /home partition. most of the folders in there are mounted nfs shares from the server, but there is some data there mostly temp or installers.
                            Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
                            (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Hmmm… I found a few old 32-bit extensions via the System profiler. The Kensington Mouseworks extensions are all 32-bit and, as disappointing as it may be, I’m betting that Kensington will not be updating it to 64-bit. Even the drivers for their latest SlimBlade trackball have not been updated since 2007.

I tried restarting and holding down the 6 and 4 keys, and that didn’t boot me into 64-bit kernel mode. Shutting down and then cold-booting, while holding down the 6 and 4 keys, didn’t work. I wonder why my Mac Pro won’t boot into 64-bit kernel mode. The only 32-bit extensions I have left are BSDKernel6.0, IOKit6.0, Libkern6.0, Mach6.0, and System6.0. So, what’s preventing me from booting into 64-bit kernel mode?

recycled plastic adirondack chairs | pet stroller | pet car seats

Comment

Working...
                              X