This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cant setup printer

Hi, I have an HP all-in-one printer C7280 (wireless network printer), which I cannot get to work in Kubuntu 910. The printer is recognised when I try to run hplip but it cannot automatically find the ppd file. When I manually select and try to 'add' printer all I get is 'printer queue setup failed' then restart cups. I cannot install via cups web interface or through the basic provision available in system settings. It just fails at the first hurdle. Have re-installed Kubuntu but problem is still there. Did hp-check in konsole and installed a massive amount of dependencies. Still the same. Bloody thing is pissin' all over me methinks. I did read somewhere that hplip may be incompatible with the latest cups version but dont know enough about all this really. Complete novice with linux but don't want to change to anything else because I like kubuntu too much. Any suggestions please. Thanking you kindly if you can sort me out.

coopar

Re: Cant setup printer

IF you have CUPS installed then enter this URL in your browser:
    localhost:631
    and try installing it from there. If your printer is connected to LPT1: or is a USB printer then you can usually connect to it. If it is on your network then the IPP driver will work.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

A review of OpenPrinting database doesn't show that the HP C7280 is supported (at least, it isn't listed). But, the C7250 is. The recommended/supported driver is hpijs
      Windows no longer obstructs my view.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thanks chaps, I have tried the localhost:631 but firefox doesn't recognise it or can't find it. Cups is installed. Printer worked fine in previous version of Kubuntu (9.04). hpijs is installed as are the right ppd files. Strange.

Comment

Originally posted by coopar
          Thanks chaps, I have tried the localhost:631 but firefox doesn't recognise it or can't find it.
          Try http://localhost:631/
          Windows no longer obstructs my view.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

He may not have the CUPS web admin program installed.
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

According to HP, the c7280 is fully supported.
              http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web...00_series.html

Install hplip, at least version 2.7.9, and it will work. I'm using 3.9.8 and it's the best HP product for Linux -- ever. In order to install hplip, cups will also need to exist, but that should be handled by the package manager. Use the hplip GUI to install the printer.
              The next brick house on the left
              Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

Thanks for the comments. http://localhost:631 is what I tried and nothing. hplip and cups are installed. Re-installed kubuntu yet again, made sure I could install the printer with cups only away at start of installation. Worked fine. Installed other software I needed, upgraded kubuntu and finished installing hplip gui. Now it doesn't work. Removed hplip gui but still doesn't work. Something installed along the way has blocked printer function. Got no option but to re-install kubuntu and check it after every component installation to see what it is that effsitup. It is hplip 3.9.8 version installed. Had no problems with previous version of kubuntu with same installed components. Ah well, here we go again.

Comment

Re: Cant setup printer (SOLVED)

Thanks for the comments. Have found my problem. File /etc/init.d/rc had been modified (concurrency=none to concurrency =shell). Changed it back and working fine. My damn fault but heyho. This was some advice on speeding up kubuntu - worked okay on 9.04 but not the current version. This info may help someone that has similar problems possibly.
                  Cheers

Comment

Re: Cant setup printer (SOLVED)

Originally posted by coopar
                    Thanks for the comments. Have found my problem. File /etc/init.d/rc had been modified (concurrency=none to concurrency =shell). Changed it back and working fine. My damn fault but heyho. .....
                    Your experience points out just how difficult it can be at times to help someone with their problem. In my wildest imaginations I would never have considered modifications to rc as being the source of the problem because rc is almost never altered. Most users would never supply that modification history because it seems so totally unrelated to the printer installation problem.

BTW, did you change the startup number of any of the startup scripts to the same value so they'd boot concurrently? If you did you may want to change them back to restore their original sort order.

Comment

If you have the hplip package installed, you should never have to go directly to CUPS for any config issues -- that's what hplip does. And as I said with the 3.9.8 version, hplip has never worked better.

Once installed, the hplip manager just sits in my tray and is always available. You shouldn't have any manual config to do.
                      The next brick house on the left
                      Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

Working...
                      X