This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Native games run poorly?

I've noticed Linux native games seem to stutter a lot. Two examples I've tried recently:

Doom 3

Enemy Territory: Quake Wars (demo)

I don't think this was always the case though. If I find some time I'd like to try testing with a 32-bit distribution as opposed to my 64-bit distro, or try older kernels.

I've tried with compositing off, with v-sync on and off, with alsa or OSS, etc..

My system isn't a speed demon by any means, but it should be more than adequate for these games.

AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+
    4GB RAM
    GeForce 8800GTS
    "No theory, no ready-made system, no book that has ever been written will save the world. I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker." - Mikhail Bakunin

Re: Native games run poorly?

i assume that you have the nvidia drivers installed?
    since you state that you have turned of compositing.
    have you tried any other native games perhaps there is an issue w/ your card in doom 3 or you need to tweak you xorg a bit to improve its proformance. i am sure there are other members with nvidia cards that can provide a bit more info on this one, since the computer i use has an ati video card.. i don't know all to much about the newer nvidia cards (my others all have legacy nvidia cards)
    Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
    (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Yes, nvidia drivers are installed.

I haven't tried any other native games. (yet)

If I find some time I'll do some testing in that proprietary blob of an operating system that shall remain nameless, but if I remember correctly, these were smooth as glass there.

I suspect it may be a regression of some sort, or possibly an issue with 32-bit emulation. I'll do some more testing and see if I can narrow it down.

I think I have a spare hard drive laying around, so I might throw a 32-bit copy of ubuntu on there and see if it exhibits the same issues.

-Andy
      "No theory, no ready-made system, no book that has ever been written will save the world. I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker." - Mikhail Bakunin

Comment

Should also mention I've been a PC gamer and techie for a long time, and I'm a bit picky. I get annoyed by things others might not even notice.

It isn't such severe stuttering that it renders the games unplayable, just enough to be annoying and screw up my sniping a bit.

Edit: If I recall correctly, I had the same issues with 64-bit Debian, so I suspect it might be something in ALL 64-bit linux OSes that use 32-bit emulation... Need to do more testing though.

Comment

Driver issue most likely. Those games run smooth as can be over here (Kubuntu 64bit, HD4850 fglrx 9.12).
          Processor: AMD FX-8320 Eight-Core @ 4.00GHz (8 Cores,) Motherboard: ASUS M5A97 R2.0, Memory: 32768MB
          Disk: 2000GB ST2000DM001-9YN1 + 1000GB ST31000340AS, Network: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411
          Graphics: ASUS AMD Radeon HD 7850, Audio: C-Media CMI8788, Monitor: S220HQL

Comment

just about the same here ... karmic 64, 4830HD fglrx 9.11

think its time for a driver update
            Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
            (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Working...
            X