This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE 4.4 Beta Bugs & Issues.

just a place to discuss bugs and issues w/ 4.4 beta, on karmic. this is not a place to complain about beta software or cry about how your system is broken its BETA don't use it on a machine that has to work.

well its finally here... KDE SC 4.4 beta 1 for kubuntu 9.10. it looks nice noticed there are more things in the system settings , and all and all kde 4 is starting to feel more complete with every .x release. heres to another good release.

off the bat i have noticed the following things (Dell Latitude D800)

1. bit slower then 4.3.4, sure it will speed up in the coming weeks/month(s) till release.
    2. system tray is not working correctly, only shows notifier and kmix. amarok and knetmanager are also running and set to "always" show)
    3. amarok won;t let me resize the playlist area. well it does then makes it the size it was.
    4. desktop effects won't start w/ my geforce 4200 go (laptop @ work ) (possibly disabled...)
    Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
    (top of thread: thread tools)

Re: KDE 4.4 Beta Bugs & Issues.

Interesting!

Has anyone compared the KDE 4.4 upgrade to the KDE 4.4 on Lucid Lucy?
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I don't seem to get an "Add Widgets" dialogue for the panel.

OpenDesktop widgets don't seem functional.
      "No theory, no ready-made system, no book that has ever been written will save the world. I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker." - Mikhail Bakunin

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek
        Interesting!

Has anyone compared the KDE 4.4 upgrade to the KDE 4.4 on Lucid Lucy?
        i would love to but lucid seams to have it already as of the disk i downloaded 2 days ago in an attempt to install ,have you tried a newer iso download yet for the live disk ?

got another one.....

Fancy Tasks is not compatible w/ plasma in 4.4 (it causes a desktop crash).

Comment

Originally posted by sithlord48
          Fancy Tasks is not compatible w/ plasma in 4.4 (it causes a desktop crash).
          Uninstall Fancy task and use the regular task manager (at least until you can get a new version of fancy tasks).

Comment

Working nicely so far, just minor issues and crashes of apps that restart themselves.
            • Kopete's tray icon is grey even though protocol is connected. Status subicon (away, DND etc) is applied though, so you're "disconnected yet away".
            • Compositing suspends if a second display is connected and set up to be to the left or right of the primary display, can not reactivate without restarting kwin, no error given. If the second display is at the same spot (left/right of main) it will immediately suspend again, but moving it to above the primary and then restarting kwin makes it work.
            • Random kwin crashes, perhaps due to window tabbing (which is awesome).
            • Random plasma crashes.
            • KRunner looks odd if you set it to use the old behavior (appear in the middle of the screen); top border is too thin.
            • In a scenario with a second display above a primary display, calling KRunner on the primary will make the window zoom from the bottom of the screen to the top, and back down when unfocusing.
            • KRandR of dubious use still.
            • Krfb of dubious use still.
            • Notifications need tweaking; opening a message in the history doesn't always clear it.
            • Windows List applet appears in the middle of the screen on first draw.
            KDE, I heart thee.

Comment

First of all, sorry for my English.

Well, I know that this is just a BETA release of what is to become KDE 4.4, but there are a couple of frustrating things about it. I have installed KDE 4.4 beta on two very different configurations: One, on a desktop PC (with Phenom X2) and the other on a Asus EEE PC 900 netbook.

1. On both systems, I have encountered the same problem: After I log in as a user, the desktop "fades in" to a pitch black desktop. But the mouse pointer and application windows (via krunner ALT+F2) are perfectly visible and window compositing is enabled, so I believe this is not a driver issue. Has anyone encountered the same problem ?

2. IMHO, the most frustrating part of kde 4.4 is about new netbook dektop. I've been using kubuntu netbook edition since it's beta stage, and I knew the netbook desktop was only a technical preview. Yet it was very stable, fast and easy to use. Actually I am very fond of it and I really appreciate the effort of KDE developers working on netbook branch. But what I see on KDE 4.4 made me worry about it. I found it rather annoying, because:

- When I switched to the netbook desktop, I found that every single window (yes even the KdeSudo and other dialogs) is forced to maximize/fullscreen.

- Windows have no window decoration (!!), no titlebar, no size grip, etc anymore (because they run as maximized windows)...

- The application category icons on the desktop does not fit into a row anymore (). A standard netbook screen is 1024X600 right? I don't now how the hell did they managed that (the older plasma netbook version was able to fit them into a row).

Now, what the heck are these ? > Even from the start, most people have been complaining about the maximized windows on UNR (Ubuntu Netbook Remix) and that it seems the KDE netbook desktop developers misunderstood those complaints. Actually, I don't want the use my netbook with a window per desktop. It is also ugly looking. A maximized kdesudo (or,say, desktop settings) dialog is really no eyecandy and has no benefit for the user. Besides, KDE is all about flexibility, they could have put a switch for that (I couldn't find any!) on the desktop setting preferences and let me decide that if I want to use all my windows maximize and borderless, etc..
              It seems that I will stick to the old one for a long while...

Comment

on my 64-bit machine

amarok won't run . crashs every time, bug reported....

Comment

Well, beta 1 is bound to be buggy. :3

And remember, unreported bugs can only be fixed by accident.
                  KDE, I heart thee.

Comment

Originally posted by oblivion
                    1. On both systems, I have encountered the same problem: After I log in as a user, the desktop "fades in" to a pitch black desktop. But the mouse pointer and application windows (via krunner ALT+F2) are perfectly visible and window compositing is enabled, so I believe this is not a driver issue. Has anyone encountered the same problem ?
                    Do you have "plasma-desktop" package installed. The symptoms sound like plasma doesn't start.

Comment

on my 64-bit machine

amarok won't run . crashs every time, bug reported....
                      2x

Same problem.

Comment

larbc, is there anything funny about your amarok config>?

mine is not too odd, i run 2.2.1 w/ music thats played via NFS share,
                        and have only added 2 scripts (shoutcast service + ultimate lyrics)

Comment

larbc, is there anything funny about your amarok config>?

mine is not too odd, i run 2.2.1 w/ music thats played via NFS share,
                          and have only added 2 scripts (shoutcast service + ultimate lyrics)
                          I don't think so.. After the KDE update, it crashes all the time. Not even once..
                          In my laptop, same thing...

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle
                            Originally posted by oblivion
                            Do you have "plasma-desktop" package installed. The symptoms sound like plasma doesn't start.
                            Yes I have plasma-desktop installed. Interestingly enough, I am also having the same problem with Kubuntu Lucid Lynx Live CD too.

On Karmic Koala, I've found a temporary solution for this problem:

If I go to system settings -> desktop settings -> Workspace and switch to alternative desktop (e.g Netbook to Desktop or Desktop to Netbook) manually, desktop then becomes visible as long as my session lasts. But if I restart or logout, then I have to do the whole thing again. I didn't have the time to examine further, but my guess is that the desktop does not automatically start. Any ideas?

Comment

MORe BUGS:::

Kopete Dead in the water , worked yesterday after upgrade and today start =>crash (not even a dup for this one).
                              has any one noticed knetworkmanager crashing on log out/shutdown or is it just my computers?
                              + i seam to have to restart the desktop effects apon reboot

Edit:: Kopete bug seams to be related to my multi monitor setup. i droped the one monitor and kopete works again. waiting for launch pad to come back up so i can edit the bug report.

Comment

Working...
                              X