This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Solved] this is a little funny, sudo nautilus in kubuntu

So I was trying to edit some code at root, to do so I ran sudo nautilus and... well my desktop is a nice compo of gnome and kde... how can I undo this? I have tried to restart with no luck.

Re: this is a little funny

I mean, the funny thing is that I can see the wallpaper of my gnome desktop and now all of the desktop files are showing...

Comment

Originally posted by awblanton
      So I was trying to edit some code at root, to do so I ran sudo nautilus and... well my desktop is a nice compo of gnome and kde... how can I undo this? I have tried to restart with no luck.
      An obvious question, but .... have you tried undoing your "code edits" and rebooting?
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek
        An obvious question, but .... have you tried undoing your "code edits" and rebooting?
        That's pretty funny!

If you can't undo what you edited, you may be able to reinstall the problematic applications -- what exactly did you change?
        Asus G1S-X3:
        Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

well it did not happen when I changed the code but rather right when I started up nautilus. the only thing that I was editing was the apache html file so I could see a different page on my server. Right when nautilus started, the background went a little orange... but I have tried to reboot and that has not helped. How do I make sure nautilus is not still running?

Comment

GUI: System Monitor, right mouse on appropriate line, select terminate or kill
            CLI: ps aux | less (as root, followed by "sudo kill -9 pid" of offending app)
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I have never had this happen in KDE or Gnome (but I'v never run sudo nautilus)

BUT in xfce or fluxbox if I open nautilus even withought sudo this dose happen......at least untill a reboot.

runing a GUI app as in sudo nautilus or sudo dolphin can and dose mess up the file permitions in your /home DIR. this may have happend hear but usualey the efect is you cant log in untill you delete the ~/.kde folder and let it get regenerated on a reboot.

in the future if you nead to run a gui as root use gksudo nautilus or kdesudo dolphin.........IE:gksudo for gnome apps and kdesudo for KDE apps.

and you mite want to go ahead and remove or rename the folowing files.

/home/you/.kde --- the hole folder (it's hiden by the . )

/home/you/.Xauthority ----- a hiden file

/home/you/.ICEauthority ----a hiden file

start with the first and work down one at a time with a reboot after each removall adding the next one if no joy.

so first remove the ~/.kde then reboot if no luck remove ~/.kde and ~/.Xauthority then reboot etc, etc, etc,

VINNY
              i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
              16GB RAM
              Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Great! you guys rock, I opened systems monitor and nautilus was still running, so I did a kill process and that did the trick. And in the future I will run with gksudo. I'm still learning so I make some mistakes but I figure, thats the best way to learn!

Comment

Working...
                X