This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cannot update or install firefox extensions or themes

I run firefox 3.5.5 in kubuntu 9.10 (32bit) and have for some time. Usually the extensions updates worked without problems but for the last couple of weeks the automated prompt to update an extension, in this case Adblock Plus 1.1.1 to 1.1.2 gave me the 228 download error. I have checked and I cannot install other extensions or themes. The standard support advice on cache size does not work as I already have enough. I have not noticed any other internet problems, I can browse fine.

This issue also exists in safe mode.

This issue does not exist in my dual boot of windows with firefox.

I attempted to directly link to the xpi file to download and that doesn't work either.

deleting the .mozilla folder (profile) did not help.

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9.1.5) Gecko/20091109 Ubuntu/9.10 (karmic) Firefox/3.5.5 GTB6

Re: cannot update or install firefox extensions or themes

I am open to suggestions. Kubuntu has now upgraded Firefox to 3.5.6 but the issue remains.

Comment

You are right, that firefox extensions are in .mozilla, but if removing it doesn't work, I would continue with purging all firefox files and install it again. Even if it doesn't help, I think it is worth trying.
      Kubuntu 16.04 on two computers and Kubuntu 17.04 on DELL Latitude 13

Comment

Well I did a complete removal of all the firefox stuff then reinstalled and the problem is still there.

Comment

The specific error message is this:

Firefox could not install the file at

http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozi...x+sm+tb+fn.xpi

because: Download error
          I decided to try downloading it in Konquerer instead. It seems to work no worries. So I suppose it will now install from the file and that's a satisfactory workaround. I would prefer the problem solved though.

It seems to me firefox itself is blocking http://releases.mozilla.org somehow. Does this make sense?

Comment

Well strike me down with a feather. I just tried again the normal firefox update way and it worked this time.

I'm confused but happy.

Comment

Working...
            X