X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amarok skips files in Karmic

I already had this problem in Jaunty alpha
    (http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...1870#msg171870)

Now it's come back in Karmic, after working for a while. I have applied the same "fix", removing ~/.xine and I have removed ~/apps/share/amarok and restarted Amarok, which then rescanned my collection.

All to no avail: I have an album with four movements. For some unfathomable reason, this album does not even show up in "Local music". Why?

If I access it thru "Files", Amarok jumps rapidly thru the first 3 movements and plays the fourth.

This time I do not see a message about playlist errors.

If I start Amarok from the command line, I see a lot of stuff talking about QPainter. What the hell is QPainter? This is a sound application.

Oh, yes, Vlc plays the first three files perfectly, so the problem is not there.

Help, please!
    'I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week sometimes to make it up.' Mark Twain

Re: Amarok skips files in Karmic; what is QPainter?

Originally posted by joneall
    If I start Amarok from the command line, I see a lot of stuff talking about QPainter. What the hell is QPainter? This is a sound application.
    It's a class in the Qt-toolkit, for drawing GUI elements. In all likelihood unrelated to your problem.

All to no avail: I have an album with four movements. For some unfathomable reason, this album does not even show up in "Local music". Why?
    This happens with only the one album (other files play normally)?
    Do you use the same format for your music (like mp3)?

Normally, I'd suspect a corrupted database. But if you already recreated it, this is unlikely. Do you get any error messages not related to QPainter in konsole when running amarok from konsole.

Comment

Since the same files play fine with Vlc, Audacious, Helix Player and Rhythmbox, I agree it must be a pb of Amarok's database. But I deleted ~/.kde/share/apps/amarok and let it rebuild its base. I even moved the files outside my Collection folders, waited for them to disappear from Amarok's list of local files, then moved them back and let Amarok refind them, which it did almost immediately. But the pb persists.

However, Amarok seems to use Kwallet for something. Might something be left hanging around in there?

Would I be better off using a mysql db? I'm currently using it for Joomla, so it's available.

I have had similar problems with other files, which I finally deleted and re-ripped, since I had not checked whether they were accepted by other audio players.

Thanks for your suggestions.
      'I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week sometimes to make it up.' Mark Twain

Comment

Amarok, a normally outstanding app, has some significant inconsistencies in Karmic. Under Jaunty, I could play almost any stream, internet radio station, playlist, or anything else audio related. Undr Jaunty I could play any file format that I came across. Under Karmic, nothing works; and I've loaded all the restricted packages for playing audio formats.

I know that some folks have expressed that they have no problems, and others, have some or few problems, and others can't use it all. That's inconsistency. Fortunately there are other audio players in Linux space that work just fine.
        The next brick house on the left
        Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

Re: Amarok skips files in Karmic

There was a bug in KDE 4.2 that caused Amarok to skip tracks if the Now Playing widget was present.on the desktop. Can't find the bug report now, and I think it is supposed to be fixed in 4.3 anyway, but if you have the Now Playing widget loaded, try removing it and see if the problem goes away.

Comment

However, Amarok seems to use Kwallet for something. Might something be left hanging around in there?
            Could be for the "online" features, don't have kwallet installed so I can't tell.

Would I be better off using a mysql db?
            You can certainly try it.

I'd also recommend trying if amarok 2.2.1 (available from kubuntu updates ppa, https://launchpad.net/~kubuntu-ppa/+archive/ppa) works better, if you aren't using it already.

Comment

@joneall , have you tried to use amarok 2.2.1 . i second kubicle's suggestion to try it
              everything is working nicely w/ 2.2.1. no more missing files from my collection (only happed to me in jaunty btw).
              Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
              (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Originally posted by sithlord48
                @joneall , have you tried to use amarok 2.2.1 . i second kubicle's suggestion to try it
                everything is working nicely w/ 2.2.1. no more missing files from my collection (only happed to me in jaunty btw).
                I have upgraded to Amarok 2.2.1 and still have the same problem. I have also switched to a MySQL DB and still have the same problem.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I have a distinct feeling that Amarok developers are more interested in new gadgets they want than in making a product that works and does what users want it to do. To repeat, I would love to be wrong.

In the meantime, I find Rhythmbox to be a lot less sexy, but it works!

Comment

Oops, Rhythmbox does not find all my files! What in $%^&*( is going on here?

Frustration.

Comment

I have upgraded to Amarok 2.2.1 and still have the same problem. I have also switched to a MySQL DB and still have the same problem.
                    You didn't say whether you are using the "Now Playing" widget or not...?

Comment

Originally posted by Rob_H
                      I tried even that!

But, correction: I deleted Rhythmbox's db (.local/share/rhythmbox/rhythmdb.xml) and rescanned the collection and it seems to find everything now. So I guess I have a date with Amarok again whenever the next release comes out.

Too bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob_H
                        I tried even that!
                        No, I think you misunderstood. I'm saying if you have that widget on your desktop, try removing it and see if the problem goes away.

Comment

Working...
                        X