This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ext4

It looks like I may have to re-install 9.10 through a circuitous route (back to 9.04 or 8.04 and then 9.10).

In re-installing I notice that ext4 is now an option.

Is there a benefit to converting all of my ext3 partitions to ext4 partitions?

Re: ext4

Much faster fscks is probably the only noticeable benefit for the typical user.

Comment

ext4 boots noticabily faster on my hardware. and yea the fsck is much faster too
      Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
      (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Ext2 and Ext 3 can be connected from Windows using Ex2 drivers, Ext4 apparently can't. This can be the case in dual bootable computers.
        Kubuntu 16.04 on two computers and Kubuntu 17.04 on DELL Latitude 13

Comment

Originally posted by josefko
          Ext2 and Ext 3 can be connected from Windows using Ex2 drivers, Ext4 apparently can't. This can be the case in dual bootable computers.
          Assuming the developers of the ext windows drivers still maintain their projects, this shouldn't be a problem for very long.

Comment

With ext4 Kubuntu boots much faster, fsck is much faster and copying large files is also much faster.
            Most important laptop specs (this is my main computer, with Kubuntu on it):<br /><br />4096MB RAM (DDR2)<br />500GB Hard Disk<br />ATI Mobility Radeon 4570HD Videocard with 512MB GDDR3 RAM, up to 2280MB VRAM<br />Intel® Core™ 2 Duo-processor T6600<br /><br />OS: Kubuntu 10.10

Comment

Originally posted by kernco
              Originally posted by josefko
              Assuming the developers of the ext windows drivers still maintain their projects, this shouldn't be a problem for very long.
              ext4 can be mounted as ext3 so the driver might still work.

Comment

ext4 can be mounted as ext3 so the driver might still work.
                I hasn't tried it, but the web is full of complaints that it doesn't work, everybody is looking forward to new versions of ext2/ext3 drivers.
                Kubuntu 16.04 on two computers and Kubuntu 17.04 on DELL Latitude 13

Comment

Indeed, the mounting of ext4 from Windows goes only so far as showing you the root folders, the rest is still inaccessible.
                  But I have good faith this'll be better, maybe totally fixed, in about the next 12 months.

Comment

i was un aware, i don't have a windows box ne more to test that with either...

Comment

Working...
                    X