This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trying to remove gnome desktop from kubuntu

I am a novice Linux user, and I sometimes get in over my head when installing new packages. I am running Karmic, but I accidentally installed a package which turned my kde environment into gnome. What do I need to install/remove to get it back to kde?

Re: Trying to remove gnome desktop from kubuntu

Just to clarify, I want to get rid of gnome and go back to the plasma desktop.

Comment

Nevermind, I just remembered that I can switch between them at the login screen

Comment

If you installed the ubuntu-desktop package on a kubuntu installation, you can easily undo this with "sudo apt-get remove ubuntu-desktop". You may need to follow up with a "sudo apt-get autoremove".

If, however, you started with an ubuntu installation, then installed the kubuntu-desktop package, and now want to remove ubuntu, it's much harder since removing the ubuntu-desktop package will not cascade to all the dependencies like it does if you install it manually. The only solution I've found is to find a list of all the packages that are part of ubuntu-desktop and remove them (Google is a good place to start. I'd post the list here, but it changes with each release).

Comment

This is the way to follow:

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/purekde
          Main system: Dell Studio XPS 8100 with Kubuntu 10.04<br />Main system: Dell Inspiron 1720 with Ubuntu 10.04<br />Second system: Acer Aspire 1500 with Ubuntu 10.04<br />Third system: Dell Dimension Desktop with Kubuntu 10.04 and Windows Vista<br />Fourth system: Dell Inspiron with Ubuntu 10.04 and Windows Vista

Comment

Working...
          X