This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Karmic - just now cannot access desktop settings

Just today, when I right click on the desktop to try to access desktop settings, the screen turns black, and I have to logout via Ctrl-Alt-Del, then select logout, then log back in. I've added several wallpaper folders to my desktop settings wallpaper changer, and just recently added another folder for Xmas. Is there a limit to how many folders? I think I have about seven with wallpapers according to topics. Or could recent bug updates have created a new bug? Can desktop settings be accessed any other way -- by konsole? Or is there a way to restore desktop settings to the default and start over? As long as I don't try to access desktop settings, things seem pretty stable. Thanks for any advice.

~George
    Linux — leaping tall "Bill-dings" in a single bound!
    Linux user #347469

Re: Karmic - just now cannot access desktop settings

Well, it seems I can modify the desktop settings for wallpaper slideshow folders by editing the plasma-desktop-appletsrc file, but can't modify these via the GUI, at least not for now.
    ~George
    Linux user #347469

Comment

Finally, by removing the 7th desktop slideshow wallpaper folder (containing 99 images) from the plasma-desktop-appletsrc file, I can now access the desktop settings GUI. I'm guessing that it's perhaps a limit in the number of files and/or folders. The large 7th folder can't be added. At some point I'm guessing the total number of files that could be processed was probably exceeded.
      ~George
      Linux user #347469

Comment

Final test -- I merged several desktop wallpaper folders, so that I still had all the images that I had when the problem first occurred. So, I had the same number of files. Desktop settings -- GUI access -- held. As long as I didn't add a seventh folder. So, temporary conclusion: it is the number of folders rather than the number of files that causes the problem. I can live with that.
        ~George
        Linux user #347469

Comment

Working...
        X