This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fullscreen Windows

Many/most of my programs start in a full screen mode where I don't have the bar at the top of the program. I can't find any option to fix this, but that probably doesn't mean much. Since the switch to KDE 4, I usually have to search around for 30+ minutes and google the issue to find the options I want to change. >

Can anyone help fix this? I have so many problems with my system now, I almost threw my mouse through my monitor today.

Re: Fullscreen Windows

try running
    [code= alt +f2 for krunner]
    kwin --replace
    [/code]
    that should give you window borders.. and allow you to resize your windows correctly.
    Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
    (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

I'm using compiz with the emerald window decorator. Firefox always works just fine, and some KDE programs I can take out of full screen mode. Some I can't. The really annoying part is that some KDE programs don't have their menu bar when they are full screen, and Konqueror doesn't have a standard menu no matter what I do. I don't know if Konqueror from KDE 4 is supposed to, but it sure would be nice.

Comment

if your not getting decoration when using compiz (it happens some times) just run emerald --replace to make emerald start up , now them being stuck in full screen thats a bit different , click on the window that full screen and press alt+f3 get the window menu (although compiz may ingore that input)

Comment

The window decorator is working. For non-KDE programs, like Firefox or Open Office, everything works fine. It works fine for some KDE programs. I tried alt+f3, but it didn't do anything. Sometimes something like ctl+f, f, or ctl+shift+f will work, but it doesn't always. Even if it does work, it's still a bother, especially if someone else tries to use my computer. It seems like an obscure KDE setting to start programs full screen, but I can't find anything. At least a menu bar started showing up in Konqueror, for no apparent reason. I guess I didn't pay attention and updated it.

Comment

Are you on Jaunty / Karmic ??
            May be a simple re-installation will set things right !!
            Jesus is Real &= GOD, unless you declare him an Integer.

Comment

I'm running 9.10, Karmic Koala. I think it's a problem with my account settings, and nothing system wide. Right now, that's just a hunch based on my years of computing experience, but I haven't done much invasive work with Ubuntu (or even KDE) yet. I'll set up another account to see if it's any different on the full screen. So far, I have only been running one account on this computer, since switching to Ubuntu, and it might have remnants as old as 12 years from Slakware and Gentoo.

If it's an account setting, hopefully I can find the buried option, because I don't want to spend the hours setting all of my options again. I'm not even sure I have that kind of time to devote before Lucid Lynx is ready.

Comment

I'm not sure how my post got put under 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope, but I've been having problems since Jaunty upgraded me to KDE4.

Comment

Well, it's because that's where you posted. No problem - I've moved the Topic here.
                  Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                  "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
                    Well, it's because that's where you posted. No problem - I've moved the Topic here.
                    Touché. I guess I should be more careful where I post.

I tried logging in with a new account. That one worked, but neither compiz-fusion nor emerald were running, like the account I'm using. Either it's a problem with compiz-fusion/emerald on my system, or a setting that I cannot find. KDE itself is okay. Work is mega busy, so it'll probably be a few more days before I can test the compiz-fusion and emerald on the second account.

Comment

the use of compiz /emerald will be a per-user setting....

Comment

Working...
                      X