This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No desktop after kde 4.3.80 upgrade

Today my system received an upgrade to kde 4.3.80. Unfortunately the packages rather dribbled into the repo (and are still doing so) which caused multiple dependency failures. Finally the upgradable packages installed cleanly.
    BUT
    I get a normal kdm greeter screen and I can log on. I then get the expected splash screen which then fades to a default oxygen background with no Desktop.
    No customised wallpaper
    No widgets
    No panel
    No right-click
    Nada

I can use Alt-F2 to start programs & kwin is running (window decorations and switching are ok). Alt-ctrl-del invites me to logout/restart ok.
    Removing ~/.kde dir doesnt help.

Any ideas ??

Re: No desktop after kde 4.3.80 upgrade

With the Lucid Lynx (scheduled release April 2010) the plasma-desktop was missing from the dependencies.

Do you have the package plasma-desktop ?
    If you have it - what will happen if you start the plasma with the command (start first the konsole and with the konsole):
    Code:
    plasma-desktop
    Error messages ?

Hmm- officially > Kubuntu.org:
    KDE Software Compilation 4.4 beta 1 packages comming soon
    Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply. I should have said this is a karmic system. I did not have the plasma-desktop package. I have now but it is docs only.
      "plasma-desktop" is not a command. Both invocation and apt-file tell me it is part of kdebase-workspace-bin but I have that installed and the command isn't in that package.

It does have a "plasma-overlay" command. I tried that and got
      ~$ plasma-overlay
      <unknown program name>(4284)/ checkComposite: Plasma has an argb visual 0x102d600 65011713
      <unknown program name>(4284)/ checkComposite: Plasma is COMPOSITE-less on 0x102c840
      plasma-overlay(4285)/plasma PlasmaApp::PlasmaApp: Setting the pixmap cache size to 30890 kilobytes
      plasma-overlay(4285)/plasma SaverCorona::init: unlock action
      plasma-overlay(4285)/plasma SaverCorona::loadDefaultLayout:
      plasma-overlay(4285)/plasma SaverCorona::loadDefaultLayout: screen geometry is QRect(0,0 1366x768)
      plasma-overlay(4285)/kdecore (KSycoca) KSycocaPrivate:penDatabase: Trying to open ksycoca from "/var/tmp/kdecache-brian/ksycoca4"
      plasma-overlay(4285)/libplasma Plasma::Applet::load: offers is empty for "saverdesktop"
      plasma-overlay(4285)/libplasma Plasma::CoronaPrivate::addContainment: loading of containment "saverdesktop" failed.
      findServiceByDesktopPath: not found
      plasma-overlay(4285)/libplasma Plasma::AppletPrivate::init: Check your constructor! You probably want to be passing in a Service::Ptr or a QVariantList with a valid storageid as arg[0].
      plasma-overlay(4285)/plasma PlasmaApp::createView: Containment name: "Unknown Activity" | type 127 | screen: -1 | geometry: QRectF(0,0 0x0) | zValue: 0
      plasma-overlay(4285)/plasma PlasmaApp::createView: creating a view for -1 and we have 1 screens
      plasma-overlay(4285)/plasma PlasmaApp::createView: view created
      plasma-overlay(4285)/plasma CalendarEngine::sourceRequestEvent: "holidaysRegions"
      plasma-overlay(4285)/plasma CalendarEngine::sourceRequestEvent: "holidaysRegions"
      plasma-overlay(4285)/kdecore (K*TimeZone*) KSystemTimeZonesPrivate::instance: instance(): ... initialised
      plasma-overlay(4285)/kdecore (K*TimeZone*) KSystemTimeZonesPrivate::readConfig: readConfig(): local zone= "Europe/London"
      plasma-overlay(4285)/kdecore (K*TimeZone*) KSystemTimeZonesPrivate::readZoneTab: readZoneTab( "/usr/share/zoneinfo/zone.tab" )
      plasma-overlay(4285)/plasma PlasmaApp::createView: Containment name: "Unknown Activity" | type 127 | screen: 0 | geometry: QRectF(0,0 1366x768) | zValue: 0
      plasma-overlay(4285)/plasma PlasmaApp::setup: false
      plasma-overlay(4285)/plasma PlasmaApp::setup: checking lockprocess is still around
      plasma-overlay(4285)/plasma PlasmaApp::setup: bailing out
      plasma-overlay(4285)/libplasma Plasma::ViewPrivate::updateSceneRect: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! setting the scene rect to QRectF(0,0 1366x768) associated screen is 0
      plasma-overlay(4285)/plasma CalendarEngine::sourceRequestEvent: "isHoliday::2009-12-09"
      plasma-overlay(4285)/plasma CalendarEngine::sourceRequestEvent: "isHoliday"
      plasma-overlay(4285)/plasma CalendarEngine::sourceRequestEvent: "2009-12-09"
      Oh yes - I saw the announcement but the upgrade was presented to me & I'm rash/stupid enough to try most things.

Comment

Well, there's your problem

plasma-desktop is a NEEDED command to start the plasma shell, which is the actual desktop itself. Without it, no desktop. At least, in KDE 4.3.

You may want to try installing it.
        The Universe is a figment of its own imagination.<br /><br />-Douglas Adams

Comment

Tynach
          Ok then where do I find it ?? - Read my last post again.

Comment

The plasma-desktop (KDE 4.4) is:

Code:
            apt-cache show plasma-desktop
            Package: plasma-desktop
            Priority: optional
            Section: kde
            Installed-Size: 960
            Source: kdebase-workspace
            Version: 4:4.3.80-0ubuntu1
            Replaces: kdebase-workspace-bin (<< 4:4.3.80), plasma-widgets-workspace (<< 4:4.3.80)
            Depends: kdebase-runtime (>= 4:4.3.80), kdebase-workspace-bin (>= 4:4.3.80), kdelibs5 (>= 4:4.3.80), libc6 (>= 2.4), libkephal4 (>= 4:4.3.80), libkworkspace4 (>= 4:4.3.80), libplasma3 (>= 4:4.3.80-0ubuntu1), libqt4-dbus (>= 4:4.6.0), libqt4-script (>= 4:4.6.0), libqt4-xml (>= 4:4.6.0), libqtcore4 (>= 4:4.6.0), libqtgui4 (>= 4:4.6.0), libstdc++6 (>= 4.1.1), libtaskmanager4 (>= 4:4.3.80), libx11-6, libxext6
            Recommends: kdebase-workspace
            Description: The KDE plasma workspace for desktop and laptop computers
            Provides the environment for running and managing applications and integrating
            interaction of applications. It is designed as generic environment for all
            kinds of desktop applications, not only applications built on the KDE Platform.
            It integrates best with applications following the standards used by the KDE
            Platform.
            This package provides a basic KDE Plasma Desktop installation.
            Homepage: http://www.kde.org/
            Bugs: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+filebug
            Origin: Ubuntu
            Task: kubuntu-desktop, edubuntu-desktop-kde

What repository are you using ?

If the > Kubuntu Package Staging:
            PPA description

For the love of the blue gears, DO NOT USE.
            This is where we build and stage the packages for final PPA releases, so this PPA will never have usable packages.
            Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
            1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
            2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Mea culpa, mea culpa maxima. I have no idea why or when I enabled the staging repo and assumed that these were backports. I've certainly never looked at it to see the warning.

The plasma-desktop I have is
              $ apt-cache show plasma-desktop
              Package: plasma-desktop
              Priority: optional
              Section: kde
              Installed-Size: 124
              Maintainer: Kubuntu Developers <kubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com>
              Architecture: amd64
              Source: kdebase-workspace
              Version: 4:4.3.80-0ubuntu1~karmic1~ppa2
              Replaces: kdebase-workspace-bin (<< 4:4.3.80), plasma-widgets-workspace (<< 4:4.3.80)
              Recommends: kdebase-workspace
              Description: The KDE plasma workspace for desktop and laptop computers
              Provides the environment for running and managing applications and integrating
              interaction of applications. It is designed as generic environment for all
              kinds of desktop applications, not only applications built on the KDE Platform.
              It integrates best with applications following the standards used by the KDE
              Platform.
              This package provides a basic KDE Plasma Desktop installation.
              Homepage: http://www.kde.org/
              Original-Maintainer: Debian Qt/KDE Maintainers <debian-qt-kde@lists.debian.org>
              It's a little different.

Comment

Working...
              X