This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Error messages when Kate started from console

I get the following error messages when I start kate from the console to edit config files as sudo:

user@computer:~$ sudo kate /etc/udev/rules.d/99_nut-serialups.rules
    Error: "/var/tmp/kdecache-user" is owned by uid 1001 instead of uid 0.
    Error: "/tmp/kde-user" is owned by uid 1001 instead of uid 0.
    Error: "/tmp/ksocket-user" is owned by uid 1001 instead of uid 0.
    QThreadStorage: Thread 0x9925d70 exited after QThreadStorage 2147483633 destroyed
    QThreadStorage: Thread 0x9925d70 exited after QThreadStorage 2147483636 destroyed

and the following just popped out spontaneously without input first from me:

user@computer:~$ kdeinit4: preparing to launch /usr/lib/libkdeinit4_kconf_update.so
    Error: "/tmp/kde-user" is owned by uid 1001 instead of uid 0.
    kdeinit4: preparing to launch /usr/lib/libkdeinit4_kconf_update.so

What does this mean and what must I do to fix it? I am using KK of a clean install from CD.

Thanks for any assistance.

Gwaap.

Re: Error messages when Kate started from console

Try kdesudo kate in terminal.. :P :P

Comment

Originally posted by mariappan
      Try kdesudo kate in terminal.. :P :P
      Thanks - never knew there was a difference.

Comment

gwaap,
        kdesudo is for graphical applications, like Kate, Konqueror, Dolphin (e.g., kdesudo konqueror).
        sudo is used for non-graphical apps (e.g., sudo fdisk -lu or sudo dd)..

Kdesudo is used since, I think, 9.04.
        Before 9.04 it was kdesu.
        (Maybe the switch from kdesu to kdesudo happened at 8.10, I can't recall.)
        fyi

An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

It is very dangerous to use sudo to start graphical/KDE applications as the permissions/ownership of your private configuration files can become changed which can prevent you from ever launching the app normally.

Comment

Exactly.

Explained here:
            http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/graphicalsudo
            An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

There is full GUI way to start Kate as a root. When you install Krusader from repository, you will get two icons in Kickoff, a blue one to start as a normal user and a red one in Aplications System to start Krusader as a root. When you start Krusader as a root and you double click a text file it will start Kate as a root. It a very easy way to make changes to system files.
              Kubuntu 16.04 on two computers and Kubuntu 17.04 on DELL Latitude 13

Comment

Krusader is a very nice, dual-pane, file manager based on the old Norton Commander (if that means anything to you). I like it MUCH better than Dolphin. However, installing Krusader just to start Kate is pushing in a thumbtack with a piledriver!

I suggest finding a blank space on the desktop. Right click. Click on "run command". Enter "kdesudo kate". Alternatively, just press ALT-F2. the same "run command" box will appear.

Comment

Originally posted by askrieger
                  Krusader is a very nice, dual-pane, file manager based on the old Norton Commander (if that means anything to you). I like it MUCH better than Dolphin.
                  what am i the only person who likes dolphin?
                  Originally posted by askrieger
                  I suggest finding a blank space on the desktop. Right click. Click on "run command". Enter "kdesudo kate". Alternatively, just press ALT-F2. the same "run command" box will appear.
                  if it is something you often need you can add an item to your "K=menu" by right clicking on the icon, selecting Menu editor, just use use 'kdesudo kate' as the command and save the menu (again if you use root kate often),
                  personally i use askrieger method usually with the file i want to edit tacked at the end (i.e kdesudo kate /etc/X11/xorg.conf)
                  Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
                  (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

installing Krusader just to start Kate is pushing in a thumbtack with a piledriver!
                    It is never only to start kate as we can see from the original question:
                    Code:
                    kate /etc/udev/rules.d/99_nut-serialups.rules
                    But I understand, that there are still guys who like more to write it instead of finding it in GUI environment.
                    Kubuntu 16.04 on two computers and Kubuntu 17.04 on DELL Latitude 13

Comment

Thanks for all the advice and warnings. I have started to use vim for config file editing. There just seems to be less to worry about.

Comment

Originally posted by gwaap
                        vim
                        A fine choice. I am an Emacs user myself, but I do give props to VI and its progeny. VI is probably the one text editor you can expect to available on every Linux system.

Be warned that if you are starting the graphical version of VIM with sudo then you might still cause yourself problems. The error messages you got were most likely caused by using sudo to start graphical applications. I don't think Kate is the problem. I will restate what everyone has already said, but much more plainly worded.

Never start GUI applications with sudo

As was already mentioned, if you really want to start Kate with superuser privileges then try using kdesudo from KRunner instead. There are many different ways to open KRunner, but among the easiest are:
                        • KMenu -> Computer -> Run Command: See the first attached image
                        • Right click your desktop background and choose Run Command: See the second attached image
                        • Press and release the F2 key on your keyboard while holding down the Alt key: See the third attached image

After KRunner appears, just type in the name of the GUI application you want to start. To start the application as root (AKA with superuser privileges) preface the application name with kdesudo. See the fourth attached image for an example of using KRunner to start Kate with superuser privileges.

KDESudo will prompt you for your password. Enter the same password you use to login to Kubuntu.

@ Qqmike, kdesudo exists and works fine on my Hardy computer.

Code:
                        $ lsb_release -cd
                        Description:  Ubuntu 8.04.3 LTS
                        Codename:    hardy
                        $ kdesudo --version
                        Qt: 3.3.8b
                        KDE: 3.5.10
                        KdeSudo: 2.5.1
                        Attached Files
                        Welcome newbies!
                        Verify the ISO
                        Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

A picture is worth a thousand (okay, a few anyway) words:
                          Attached Files
                          Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

i usually use nano my self to edit most configs. never tried emacs or vi / vim
                            Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
                            (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

For most of my 'root' owned config file editing, I do so from the CLI using sudo vi.
                              Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
                              X