Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KDE4.3.4 - Plasma: 5 Activities for 4 desktops? WTF..??

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE4.3.4 - Plasma: 5 Activities for 4 desktops? WTF..??

I have been trying for some time now to get a setup with 4 virtual desktops, each with a separate activity (so i can use different widgets & wallpaper on each). However, every time I click on the 'different activity for each desktop' in the zoomed out plasma view>configure plasma, I end up with 5 activities - i assume them to be one for each of my 4 virtual desktops, plus another for the original activity.
    So far, so sensible.

However, I cannot then delete the extra, unwanted activity (or any of the others for that matter) without un-ticking the 'different activity per desktop' button again first, as there are no 'red cross' delete boxes under the activities when it is ticked. But if i untick the box, delete them, and then re-tick the box.. - back come more (blank) activities >

The five activities then seem to assign themselves at random to my 4 virtual desktops, so I never know which desktops/activities i'm going to have when i log in, which ones will be missing, what order they will be in, or even which will be assigned to each virtual desktop name! Occasionally new blank activities even create themselves for no apparent reason, leaving me with even more randomly-assigned activities! > > Needless to say this is not a useable (K)DE.

So is this a bug, or just some terribly designed UI which i am falling foul of? If it is a bug why hasn't it been fixed since the first release of KDE4? It has been bought up in other forums before, though has never to my knowledge been properly addressed.

I have to say that so far I find this whole plasma/activity configuration thing to be illogical, overly complicated and extremely irritating. I have troubleshooted (troubleshot?) and configured several linux OS's now without ever coming across anything this frustrating. This same thing happens in PCLOS by the way so even my 'fallback' OS is shafted. I'm not a happy camper.

Yours sincerely, and waiting patiently in anticipation of a solution from a wise programmer type...

Chris
    Newly obsessed Linux newb.  Currently multi-booting PCLOS 2009.2, Win7, Ubuntu 9.10, LinuxMint 8, Puppy 2.3.1, Fedora 12, and KUBUNTU 9.10!

Re: KDE4.3.4 - Plasma: 5 Activities for 4 desktops? WTF..??

These problems are just problems that exist.

The problem of them being random and unstable is solved in the latest 4.3.4. However, there is still a fifth extra activity that is super annoying.

Probably this will be streamlined in KDE 4.4. Until then, I guess we just have to put up with it.
    The Universe is a figment of its own imagination.<br /><br />-Douglas Adams

Comment

Working...
    X