X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cannot shut down system

Hi All
    Shutting down ,logging out does not work since last night .I get the option dialogue turns up, choose shut down/log out and then nothing. Been halting in terminal.
    Any ideas?
    Thanks
    Steve

Re: Cannot shut down system

This sometimes happens to me too. No clue what's going on.

The other thing that happens to me is I will shut down, and it will actually shut down... But stay turned on at the VERY last shutdown phase. So, I just press Ctrl+Alt+Delete, and it goes the rest of the way, but with a restart! Then, I have to manually turn it off once it starts back up again to complete the shutdown.
    The Universe is a figment of its own imagination.<br /><br />-Douglas Adams

Comment

Ctrl+Alt+Delete does not work here .The only thing that will work is hibernate and switch user ? Halting only via terminal . Tried withe earlier kernels but get the same thing .
      Any ideas ?

Comment

Bump. Having the same problem since my reinstall. Anyone with any clues? I have been rebooting and halting in terminal as well.
        I wish I was the man my dog thinks I am.<br /><br />Registered Linux User No. 402825

Comment

What version of KDE are you running?

Comment

KDE 4.3.2. Have done all the upgrades and updates, so I have whatever is in the repo's for Karmic.
            I wish I was the man my dog thinks I am.<br /><br />Registered Linux User No. 402825

Comment

Hi there
              I should of updated this thread as I fixed my problem with not being able to shut down . Got side tracked by a similar thread over at the hard ware forum http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...pic=3108706.15
              I fixed it by Reinstalling the following packages:
              kubuntu-desktop (1.154) .

Comment

Thanks for the replies, bossa. Not sure if I did it right, but it didn't work for me. I marked it in Synaptic as reinstall package and tried that to no avail. Should I have removed it another way first?

Comment

IIRC there was a bug in the KDM that shipped with 4.3.2

Can I suggest you update to 4.3.4 following the instructions at http://www.kubuntu.org/

That may well solve your problem.

HTH

Comment

Thank you so much for your suggestion, I tried it, but to no avail.

Comment

I had this problem about 2 weeks ago.
                      For a while I used the old sudo shutdown -h now.
                      Then I found right-clicking the shutdown icon worked...

Right now all is back to normal.

Comment

Working...
                      X