X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Qt 4.6 and Qt Creator 1.3

Hi everyone,

I want to use Qt Creator 1.3 to develop a Qt 4.6 application. The problem is Karmic has Qt 4.5 and Qt Creator 1.2. I'm assuming that Qt 4.6 won't appear in Karmic backports since it's not binary compatible with Qt 4.5. What's the best thing for me to do then? Should I just manually download and install the updated Qt, or is there still a repository a can install from that will allow me to use both 4.5 and 4.6 side by side? I don't want to run 10.04 alpha just to get Qt 4.6.

Re: Qt 4.6 and Qt Creator 1.3

It looks like they are working on KDE 4.4 Beta 1 packages according to the kubuntu home page. If I'm not mistaken, KDE 4.4 requires QT 4.6, so I'm thinking it should be on the way. Could be wrong.

-Andy
    "No theory, no ready-made system, no book that has ever been written will save the world. I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker." - Mikhail Bakunin

Comment

I saw that, but KDE uses it's own qt-copy instead of the official Qt releases from Nokia, and if I'm not mistaken is statically linked. I'm not sure that the KDE libraries include dynamically linkable Qt libraries.

Comment

IF your project specifically includes the NEW features in 4.6 that are not in previous versions of Qt, then even if you downloaded and installed the new QtCreator 1.3 and the Qt 4.6 SDK, I doubt that any dynamic app you created would run on the KDE 4.3.4 desktop because it would expect the wrong libraries, but perhaps a statically compiled app might because, as you know, a statically compiled app contains all the libraries and dependent files it needs compiled in.

However, if you have adequate HD space you can install Lucid as a guest host under virtualbox or whatever, and work with the new stuff in it.

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek
          but perhaps a statically compiled app might because, as you know, a statically compiled app contains all the libraries and dependent files it needs compiled in.
          and if you want a static link, I believe you will have to download the qt src and build with the appropriate switches. I agree that unless you really need it, just use 4.5.3? in the repos.
          FKA: tanderson

Comment

I do need the new features, specifically the animation and state machine frameworks. I think I'll just install it in my home directory and link my project to it.

Comment

Originally posted by tanderson
              and if you want a static link, I believe you will have to download the qt src and build with the appropriate switches. I agree that unless you really need it, just use 4.5.3? in the repos.
              I believe you are correct and the Qt4.5.3 sdk in the repository, IIRC, has been compiled with "-shared" and "-debug-and-release", and with about every other option activated.

Using the QtCreator and Qt4.5.3 in the repository is what I'd do, unless you need to compile for a Symbian phone app or you want to interface with a touch screen.

The repository Qt4.5.3 sdk and QtCreator 1.2 works well for me on my 64bit fully updated KK 9.10 with KDE 4.3.4. and with PostgreSQL 8.3 databases.

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by kernco
                I do need the new features, specifically the animation and state machine frameworks. I think I'll just install it in my home directory and link my project to it.
                fair enough. I have done that in the past and it worked out alright. Nice to see more developers around the forum lately.
                FKA: tanderson

Comment

Working...
                X