This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sound delay

I'm having a bit of a problem... If I play a sound, for a few seconds after the sound plays, any other sound that is played within those few seconds is perfectly fine and plays on time.

However, if it is after those few seconds... There is a 1-2 second delay in the next sound playing. Now, this isn't much of a complaint, except with GTK apps...

If I use a GTK app, every time I press a button, it makes a sound. And, it won't continue to press the button until the sound is played... So, I press a button, and it shows the button pressed in... But acts as if I'm holding in the mouse button for a second or two, before finally pressing the button. However, if I then press another button shortly after, it works fine... Because it's within those few seconds mentioned above.

However, this is very annoying. I've been using Firefox and Chromium (from their Ubuntu PPA), and if I'm reading a web page, it's always at least barely long enough for those few seconds to pass... And so, I have to wait another few seconds for a tab to close, a bookmark to open, or whatever I'm doing if I'm pressing a button.

It was not like this when I first installed, but I don't think it's a configuration problem... Mostly because I tried starting a new account 'testing', and seeing if the problem existed with a default setup. It still existed.

Is there a package I should uninstall? I know that in Gnome, you can choose to disable button sounds (and indeed this problem does NOT exist in Gnome whenever I log into it, even with button sounds enabled)... But I can't find such an option in the GTK settings in KDE.

Nor can I find a way to get the sound system to behave.

Any help? I just want my GTK apps to work fine.

Note: I'm pretty sure it's the sound system, since the sound delay happens in QT programs also... Though the QT program will perform the action and press the button before the sound is played. I suppose GTK could work around this by having the sound played after the button presses, but I'm not that skilled with programming and I don't want to recompile all the GTK libraries from scratch, just to fix a silly problem like this.
    The Universe is a figment of its own imagination.<br /><br />-Douglas Adams

Re: Sound delay

Why is it that all of my posts are the types with 20 or more views, but no posts?

I'm using Gnome for the moment, just so I have a stable environment (I use several GTK apps on a regular basis, and this problem makes them almost unusable). I would, however, prefer to use KDE.

Comment

Why is it that all of my posts are the types with 20 or more views, but no posts?
      I had a sound problem and got no answers too and I thought that obviously nobody knew the solution and nobody could be forced to know it.
      http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3107828.0
      Kubuntu 16.04 on two computers and Kubuntu 17.04 on DELL Latitude 13

Comment

Yeah, I guess Phonon and Xine are rather experimental.

Does VLC have those problems in Gnome/Xfce/Whatever?

I'd try using PulseAudio instead of OSS... I've had good luck with it so far (as in, it's the only thing that works at all here).

Comment

Does VLC have those problems in Gnome/Xfce/Whatever?
          Now I am not in the mood to make a full time hobby of it. I decided not to use subtitles and change to Kaffeine.
          If you have problems with Firefox and Chrome, try to use Opera if it is not any better. It is easy to install, just download appropriate install DEB file from www.opera.com and run it with GDebi Package Installer from Dolphin. New Opera 10.0 is really nice. I use it on everyday basis and only when something really special doesn't work I switch to Firefox.

Comment

Yeah, I have Opera, but the reason why I like Chrome is because it A.) Passes Acid3 test and B.) has virtually no startup time.

Comment

Bleh. The problem is getting worse.

Comment

If there is nobody here who can help you, you can try much bigger Ubuntu Forums even with Kubuntu stuff.

Comment

Well, my best work-around so far is to just have music playing in the background all the time. If I don't want to hear it, I can have the sound in Amarok turned down all the way, and it still works.

Comment

Update: I got it to work fine now. In KDE 4.4, have to switch to GStreamer as the KDE sound system's backend. Everything works now

Comment

change subject to include "[SOLVED]" so everybody like josefko and yourself can try this.
                      Home: Kubuntu 12.04-amd64; Intel i7-860 on Intel DH55PJ; Nvidia 9500GT; 6GB RAM
                      Network Slave: Xubuntu 11.10-x86; Intel P4-Prescott on MSI; 2GB RAM; Nvidia FX5200
                      Portable: Xubuntu 11.10-amd64; Asus EeePC 1015PEM

Comment

Originally posted by Tynach
                        switch to GStreamer as the KDE sound system's backend.
                        This was suggest to me the other day over on KDEForums. I installed phonon-backend-gstreamer to replace phonon-backend-xine (selectable) and my particular sound issue was resolved.
                        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
                        X