This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to remove old kernels from grub2 the easy way

I just learned this. I have seen this asked a lot.

You might can do this with kpackagekit, but I suggest using synaptic. If you don't have synaptic you can install it.

If you want to remove the old kernels. Type linux-headers in the search field of synaptic and scroll through and mark for complete removal the old kernels. Then type update-grub2 as root. That's it.

Here is the link where I found this.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1195275

# Too Many Kernels? Kernels removed via Synaptic or with "apt-get remove" will automatically update grub.cfg and no user action is required.

* In Synaptic, type the kernel number in the search window at the upper right (for example - 2.6.28-11).
    * Find the "linux-image" and "linux-headers" files for the applicable kernel (example - linux-image-2.6.26-11 or "linux-image-2.6.26-11-generic).
    * Right click and select "Mark for Complete Removal" and then press the Apply main menu button.
    * The kernels will be removed from your system and from the Grub menu.
    * If you are not sure of the kernel you are currently using, in a terminal type "uname -r".
    * Many users keep one previous kernel on the machine which previously ran without problems.

Re: How to remove old kernels from grub2 the easy way

If you use synaptic (specifically) to do this, it is _supposed to_ automatically run update-grub for you and generate the new grub.cfg.
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Working...
    X