This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Broken Package Issues

Please, I swear, I believe it's the exact same problem! Look, nvidia-195-libvdpau - we're having the exact same problem with that package and a conflict with nvidia-190-libvdpau! Exact same error message " trying to overwrite '/usr/lib/libvdpau.so.1', which is also in package nvidia-190-libvdpau 0:190.42-0ubuntu0~ppa0" "

Comment

Okay, I believe you!

It's mainly console work, but uninstall the 195 driver, don't do "-f install" and make sure you uninstall the libxine1 and libvdpau libraries without apt-get forcing an upgrade of the nvidia driver to 195. You can do that by downloading the nividia 190 driver and using dpkg to install it (not apt-get, which will pull in dependencies). Then, do a version lock on the nvidia-190 driver so it is not upgraded in future actions with the repository.

With the video driver version locked you can do the "-f install" and "autoremove", then proceed to to the KDE 4.3.4 update, if that was what you wanted to do.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Ah! I finally got it! I (rather stupidly) keep forgetting about the /etc/apt/sources.list.d directory. Hidden in there, was a file called "thefirstm-karmic-testing-karmic.list" which was was a ppa for which purpose I do not remember. (Possibly the graphic speed up thread I mentioned before) I commented out this ppa and, after a quick apt-get update, it was much happier. It uninstalled miro and xine but, after doing so, happily let me install my security updates and reinstall miro and xine without any broken package errors whatsoever!

Thanks all for your help, I am glad I don't have to reinstall! I hope that the original user has a conflict similar to mine that can be resolved by removing an offending ppa!

Comment

Ah, Skunk was on to something...
          Perhaps you could also post the contents of /etc/apt/sources.list
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek
            Ah, Skunk was on to something...
            Perhaps you could also post the contents of /etc/apt/sources.list
            Been there, done that, got the t-shirt

Comment

Yeah, thanks Skunk. I kept looking at it, saying, "Nothing out of the ordinary here!" Forgot about sources.list.d! Gstreamer and Xine have also started working correctly after removed the bad repo.

Comment

you must have added some extra repositories somewhere, as the package nvidia-195-libvdpau simply does not exist in the normal Ubuntu repositories, there are some in various PPA repositories.

I suggest posting the contents of your /etc/apt/sources.list file as well as a list of the contents of the folder /etc/apt/sources.list.d/

Comment

Working...
                X