This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Broken Package Issues

You could try to force nvidia-195-libvdpau to install... but test it first...

From "man apt-get"
    apt-get [-sqdyfmubV] [-o= config_string ] [-c= config_file ] [-t= { target_release_name | target_release_number_expression | target_release_codename }] {update | upgrade |
    dselect-upgrade | dist-upgrade | install pkg [ { =pkg_version_number | /target_release_name | /target_release_codename } ] ... | remove pkg... | purge pkg... |
    source pkg [ { =pkg_version_number | /target_release_name | /target_release_codename } ] ... | build-dep pkg... | check | clean | autoclean | autoremove |
    {-v | --version} | {-h | --help}}

--force-yes
    Force yes; This is a dangerous option that will cause apt to continue without prompting if it is doing something potentially harmful. It should not be used except in very special situations.

-s, --simulate, --just-print, --dry-run, --recon, --no-act
    No action; perform a simulation of events that would occur but do not actually change the system. Configuration Item: APT::Get::Simulate.
    sudo apt-get -s --force-yes install nvidia-195-libvdpau

If that doesn't indicate problems then remove the "-s" and rerun it.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

$ sudo apt-get -s --force-yes install nvidia-195-libvdpau
      Reading package lists... Done
      Building dependency tree
      Reading state information... Done
      The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
      linux-headers-2.6.31-14 nvidia-190-libvdpau linux-headers-2.6.31-14-generic
      Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
      The following NEW packages will be installed:
      nvidia-195-libvdpau
      0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 4 not upgraded.
      7 not fully installed or removed.
      Inst nvidia-195-libvdpau (195.22-0ubuntu0~ppa0 Ubuntu:9.10/karmic)
      Conf nvidia-195-libvdpau (195.22-0ubuntu0~ppa0 Ubuntu:9.10/karmic)
      Conf libxine1-bin (1.1.16.3-0ubuntu2~xine-vdpau~karmic~ppa7 Ubuntu:9.10/karmic)
      Conf libxine1-misc-plugins (1.1.16.3-0ubuntu2~xine-vdpau~karmic~ppa7 Ubuntu:9.10/karmic)
      Conf libxine1-ffmpeg (1.1.16.3-0ubuntu2~xine-vdpau~karmic~ppa7 Ubuntu:9.10/karmic)
      Conf libxine1-plugins (1.1.16.3-0ubuntu2~xine-vdpau~karmic~ppa7 Ubuntu:9.10/karmic)
      Conf libxine1-x (1.1.16.3-0ubuntu2~xine-vdpau~karmic~ppa7 Ubuntu:9.10/karmic)
      Conf libxine1-console (1.1.16.3-0ubuntu2~xine-vdpau~karmic~ppa7 Ubuntu:9.10/karmic)
      Conf libxine1 (1.1.16.3-0ubuntu2~xine-vdpau~karmic~ppa7 Ubuntu:9.10/karmic)

I didn't read anything there as causing an error, so I went ahead:

$ sudo apt-get --force-yes install nvidia-195-libvdpau
      Building dependency tree
      nvidia-195-libvdpau
      Need to get 0B/873kB of archives.
      After this operation, 1,782kB of additional disk space will be used.
      (Reading database ... 262570 files and directories currently installed.)
      Unpacking nvidia-195-libvdpau (from .../nvidia-195-libvdpau_195.22-0ubuntu0~ppa0_i386.deb) ...
      dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/nvidia-195-libvdpau_195.22-0ubuntu0~ppa0_i386.deb (--unpack):
      trying to overwrite '/usr/lib/libvdpau.so.1', which is also in package nvidia-190-libvdpau 0:190.42-0ubuntu0~ppa0
      Errors were encountered while processing:
      /var/cache/apt/archives/nvidia-195-libvdpau_195.22-0ubuntu0~ppa0_i386.deb
      E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

Same errors as without force. I'm wondering if there's anyway to remove libxine1 (or libxine1-bin, if that would help) without uninstalling pretty much all of kubuntu, or in fact anything else, considering that libxine1-bin is supposed to replace libxine1, and everything else seems to just send me in circles.

Comment

In a konsole issue
        kdesudo dolphin
        and use it to rename
        /usr/lib/libvdpau.so.1
        to
        /usr/lib/libvdpau.so.1.XXX
        Close dolphin.

Then use the "-f install" to try a clean up and then redo the forced install.
        It won't have to "trying to overwrite '/usr/lib/libvdpau.so.1" because it won't see it.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Arg. No luck. Here's what happened after renaming:

$ sudo apt-get -f install
          Building dependency tree
          Correcting dependencies... Done
          The following extra packages will be installed:
          nvidia-195-libvdpau
          nvidia-195-libvdpau
          Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
          Unpacking nvidia-195-libvdpau (from .../nvidia-195-libvdpau_195.22-0ubuntu0~ppa0_i386.deb) ...
          dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/nvidia-195-libvdpau_195.22-0ubuntu0~ppa0_i386.deb (--unpack):
          trying to overwrite '/usr/lib/libvdpau.so.1', which is also in package nvidia-190-libvdpau 0:190.42-0ubuntu0~ppa0

$ sudo apt-get -s --force-yes install nvidia-195-libvdpau
          Building dependency tree
          nvidia-195-libvdpau
          Inst nvidia-195-libvdpau (195.22-0ubuntu0~ppa0 Ubuntu:9.10/karmic)
          Conf nvidia-195-libvdpau (195.22-0ubuntu0~ppa0 Ubuntu:9.10/karmic)
          Conf libxine1-bin (1.1.16.3-0ubuntu2~xine-vdpau~karmic~ppa7 Ubuntu:9.10/karmic)
          Conf libxine1-misc-plugins (1.1.16.3-0ubuntu2~xine-vdpau~karmic~ppa7 Ubuntu:9.10/karmic)
          Conf libxine1-ffmpeg (1.1.16.3-0ubuntu2~xine-vdpau~karmic~ppa7 Ubuntu:9.10/karmic)
          Conf libxine1-plugins (1.1.16.3-0ubuntu2~xine-vdpau~karmic~ppa7 Ubuntu:9.10/karmic)
          Conf libxine1-x (1.1.16.3-0ubuntu2~xine-vdpau~karmic~ppa7 Ubuntu:9.10/karmic)
          Conf libxine1-console (1.1.16.3-0ubuntu2~xine-vdpau~karmic~ppa7 Ubuntu:9.10/karmic)
          Conf libxine1 (1.1.16.3-0ubuntu2~xine-vdpau~karmic~ppa7 Ubuntu:9.10/karmic)

$ sudo apt-get --force-yes install nvidia-195-libvdpau
          Building dependency tree
          nvidia-195-libvdpau

Comment

Rats.
            Well, remove the "XXX"s from the name of that library.
            THen, lets do the terrible.

sudo apt-get remove libxine1-bin

and let it remove what ever it wants.
            reboot and log into your console shell.
            clean up with
            sudo apt-get autoremove
            sudo apt-get -f install

Then, reboot again, just to be sure your system isn't trashed up and you can reach your home account console.

Then issue

sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop

when it is done, reboot and log into your new KDE4 desktop.

Then, open a konsole and issue

sudo apt-get update
            sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

IF all these doesn't work then plan B.
            Reinstall from the gold release of KK 9.10 with a LiveCD that passes the CD check menu option.
            Then to the last two commands above, again.

Good luck.

Comment

Ok, I ran the remove command and got this output

$ sudo apt-get remove libxine1-bin
              Building dependency tree
              You might want to run `apt-get -f install' to correct these:
              The following packages have unmet dependencies:
              libxine1-console: Depends: libxine1-bin (= 1.1.16.3-0ubuntu2~xine-vdpau~karmic~ppa7) but it is not going to be installed
              libxine1-ffmpeg: Depends: libxine1-bin (= 1.1.16.3-0ubuntu2~xine-vdpau~karmic~ppa7) but it is not going to be installed
              libxine1-misc-plugins: Depends: libxine1-bin (= 1.1.16.3-0ubuntu2~xine-vdpau~karmic~ppa7) but it is not going to be installed
              libxine1-x: Depends: libxine1-bin (= 1.1.16.3-0ubuntu2~xine-vdpau~karmic~ppa7) but it is not going to be installed
              E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution).

Should I go ahead and execute it with synaptic to remove that command? It's what tells me that it wants to remove everything. Or does this give some extra information that I can't see how to parse to help?

Comment

Have you tried to downgrade the nvidia driver that is currently installed to the version from the repository?

Comment

Originally posted by Janothar
                  Ok, I ran the remove command and got this output

$ sudo apt-get remove libxine1-bin
                  Building dependency tree
                  libxine1-console: Depends: libxine1-bin (= 1.1.16.3-0ubuntu2~xine-vdpau~karmic~ppa7) but it is not going to be installed
                  libxine1-ffmpeg: Depends: libxine1-bin (= 1.1.16.3-0ubuntu2~xine-vdpau~karmic~ppa7) but it is not going to be installed
                  libxine1-misc-plugins: Depends: libxine1-bin (= 1.1.16.3-0ubuntu2~xine-vdpau~karmic~ppa7) but it is not going to be installed
                  libxine1-x: Depends: libxine1-bin (= 1.1.16.3-0ubuntu2~xine-vdpau~karmic~ppa7) but it is not going to be installed
                  E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution).

Should I go ahead and execute it with synaptic to remove that command? It's what tells me that it wants to remove everything. Or does this give some extra information that I can't see how to parse to help?
                  Completely remove thelibxine- files which have unmet dependencies. Then continue on with the reinstall of the KDE4 desktop.

Comment

Ok, removed it, kde is off the computer, logging in from gnome. When I try to install kubuntu-desktop, it wants to install both libxine1 and libxine1-bin, which was the original source of the conflict.

Comment

Originally posted by Janothar
                      Ok, removed it, kde is off the computer, logging in from gnome. When I try to install kubuntu-desktop, it wants to install both libxine1 and libxine1-bin, which was the original source of the conflict.
                      It seems to me that the source of your problem is the new nvidia driver. Which driver are you running, the old one or the new one?

IF it is the old one then I'd pin it to make sure it isn't upgraded. (Select it in Synaptic, then use the menu option "Package" --> "Lock Versions"). If it is the new one then I'd downgrade it to the old one.

Then, with the nvidia driver locked at the version which didn't give you problems, let the kde4 installation task do what it will. The alternative is to reinstall, lock your nvidia version, then do the usual update, upgrade or dist-upgrade.

Comment

Perhaps you could also post the contents of /etc/apt/sources.list

Comment

Thank you all for your comments, I am having this exact same problem. I highly suspect it is related to this hack from jaunty, before I upgraded:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1130582

Of course, the repo is now disabled after upgrade.

I also am unable to remove the offending package and am faced with a reinstall if I can't fix it. (Which, unfortunately, I have no time to do. Compile mplayer again, upgrade/fix alsa again, compile madwifi again, ect...) Any assistance greatly appreciated!

Comment

dpkg --purge packagename
                            Remove an installed package. -r or --remove remove everything except conffiles. This may avoid having to reconfigure the package if it is reinstalled later. (Conffiles are configuration files that are listed in the DEBIAN/conffiles control file). -P or --purge removes everything, including conffiles.

Comment

Thank you, yes, tried that too:

dan@dan-desktop:~$ sudo apt-get purge nvidia-190-libvdpau
                              [sudo] password for dan:
                              Building dependency tree
                              libxine1-bin: Depends: nvidia-195-libvdpau but it is not going to be installed
                              dan@dan-desktop:~$ sudo apt-get -f install
                              Building dependency tree
                              Correcting dependencies... Done
                              The following extra packages will be installed:
                              nvidia-195-libvdpau
                              nvidia-195-libvdpau
                              0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 39 not upgraded.
                              8 not fully installed or removed.
                              Do you want to continue [Y/n]? Y
                              (Reading database ... 252839 files and directories currently installed.)
                              dan@dan-desktop:~$

Comment

You've jumped into Janothar's topic, is yours the same problem? If not, start a new topic.

Comment

Working...
                                X