This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Broken Package Issues

So, I was upgrading packages and something seems to have gone wrong. I'm being told I have broken "libxine1-bin" package, which conflicts with and replaces "libxine1". Now, I try to fix it, and it insists on trying to install "nvidia-195-libvdpau" but it fails at doing so, with the following output from Symantec

"E: /var/cache/apt/archives/nvidia-195-libvdpau_195.22-0ubuntu0~ppa0_i386.deb: trying to overwrite '/usr/lib/libvdpau.so.1', which is also in package nvidia-190-libvdpau 0"

Now, I don't really know what I'm doing, so I asked it about uninstalling 190, and it then told me that it would have to uninstall pretty much everything, and if I tell it to uninstall 190 and then install 195, it attempts to do it in the opposite order and nothing gets done. Meanwhile, kpackagekit is complaining at me every few minutes, and I can't do much else because of the broken package.

So...if anyone knows how to fix this (or can tell me what info they need to figure it out) it'd be REALLY appreciated.

Re: Broken Package Issues

Have you tried:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install -f
    Processor: AMD FX-8320 Eight-Core @ 4.00GHz (8 Cores,) Motherboard: ASUS M5A97 R2.0, Memory: 32768MB
    Disk: 2000GB ST2000DM001-9YN1 + 1000GB ST31000340AS, Network: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411
    Graphics: ASUS AMD Radeon HD 7850, Audio: C-Media CMI8788, Monitor: S220HQL

Comment

you can try

Code:
      sudo apt-get -f install
      from a terminal and see if that will fix the broken packages.

VINNY
      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
      16GB RAM
      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Tried that, got this output.

Reading package lists... Done
        Building dependency tree
        Reading state information... Done
        Correcting dependencies... Done
        The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
        linux-headers-2.6.31-14 nvidia-190-libvdpau linux-headers-2.6.31-14-generic
        Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
        The following extra packages will be installed:
        nvidia-195-libvdpau
        The following NEW packages will be installed:
        nvidia-195-libvdpau
        0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
        7 not fully installed or removed.
        Need to get 0B/873kB of archives.
        After this operation, 1,782kB of additional disk space will be used.
        Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
        (Reading database ... 262570 files and directories currently installed.)
        Unpacking nvidia-195-libvdpau (from .../nvidia-195-libvdpau_195.22-0ubuntu0~ppa0_i386.deb) ...
        dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/nvidia-195-libvdpau_195.22-0ubuntu0~ppa0_i386.deb (--unpack):
        trying to overwrite '/usr/lib/libvdpau.so.1', which is also in package nvidia-190-libvdpau 0:190.42-0ubuntu0~ppa0
        Errors were encountered while processing:
        /var/cache/apt/archives/nvidia-195-libvdpau_195.22-0ubuntu0~ppa0_i386.deb
        E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

Comment

so did you do the

Code:
          sudo apt-get autoremove
          that it sugjested?

you can allso try

Code:
          sudo apt-get purge nvidia-190-libvdpau
          to compleatley pruge it frome the system

then try the -f install agin or just install nvidia-195-libvdpau

VINNY
          i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
          16GB RAM
          Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Output for both:

$ sudo apt-get autoremove
            Building dependency tree
            You might want to run `apt-get -f install' to correct these.
            The following packages have unmet dependencies:
            libxine1-bin: Depends: nvidia-195-libvdpau but it is not installed
            E: Unmet dependencies. Try using -f.

$ sudo apt-get purge nvidia-190-libvdpau
            Building dependency tree
            You might want to run `apt-get -f install' to correct these:
            libxine1-bin: Depends: nvidia-195-libvdpau but it is not going to be installed
            E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution).

Comment

Run sudo apt-get -f install to correct these as the message states.
              Windows no longer obstructs my view.
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I got the exact same output as before. I'm being sent in circles with each command referring me to others, and them referring back, and I don't know enough to break this loop.

Comment

Dependency hell...

I assume that you installed the nvidia-195 drivers from some ppa somewhere.

From your posts, it looks like the version of xine* (or one of its libraries) that is installed depends on nvidia-glx-195, however that version is not compatible with some other package that you were attempting to install.

In order to fix this, you will need to spend some time doing some research on how to pin package versions in apt and then downgrade the nvidia drivers back to the version from the repository. Then you should be able to complete the current pending upgrade and get the apt database back into a consistent state. After apt is happy, you should be able to reinstall the latest and greatest nvidia drivers again.

What you need to do to avoid this in the future is to uninstall the version of the nvidia drivers that you got from the ppa BEFORE doing the upgrade.

This is the problem with installing software from ppa's

Comment

Ok...ignorant here...what's a PPA? And how do I "pin" things? I hit "upgrade all" for kpackagekit, and now I'm in hell.

Comment

I ran into that once while running the beta jaunty.

It took several runs with the "-f install" and the "autoremove" to clean things up.
                      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Sadly, I've done quite a few runs, in various orders, and nothing's changed.

Comment

Here's something I'm nervous about trying, and want to know if anyone thinks it will work, or if it won't, why. I'm considering telling Synaptic to remove libxine1-bin, and to reinstall all of the things it tells me it will uninstall. It will let me give it this command, at the least, when I mark all these things for reinstallation, libxine1-bin isn't mentioned as required, but it seems like it's risky, and don't want to do it if there's a stupid reason that it won't work.

Comment

That will result in removing your KDE desktop, PLUS several other applications and libraries. IF you do it, which I don't recommend, you would have to reinstall everything that was taken out by using APT-GET from the console (not Konsole, because KDE4 will be gone).

Besides, your cache may be corrupted. Do a "man apt-cache" and see the options "check" or "gencache", among others.
                            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Thanks for pointing out how bad the idea is. I had a feeling it wouldn't go smoothly. Anyway, tried those commands, and nothing interesting happened, here's the output, after running check, then gencaches, then check again to see if anything changed, then I tried -f install, and got the same error as above:

$ sudo apt-get check
                              Building dependency tree

$ sudo apt-cache gencaches
                              Reading package lists...

$ sudo apt-get check
                              Building dependency tree

Comment

Working...
                              X