Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

usb-creator followes Redmond-philosophy - or is it buggy?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

usb-creator followes Redmond-philosophy - or is it buggy?

I wanted to try the OpenSuse-LiveCD from thumbdrive and downloaded the .iso.
    Alas, the usb-creator-kde refuses to accept it as CD. It always shows an empty upper window. Whatever I do.
    Is it trying to prevent me from trying a competitor, or is this a bug?

Uwe

Re: usb-creator followes Redmond-philosophy - or is it buggy?

I've no experience with either usb-creator-kde or OpenSuse, but the man page for usb-creator-kde says:
    usb-creator-kde takes an Ubuntu CD or CD image file as input
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Yes, I saw that. I had read the manpage before posting. Then I shook my head, and said to myself 'this can't be true'. Is it?

Uwe

Comment

I've created two LiveUSB's with usb-creator. One with KK's 32bit and one with the 64b version of KK.

Both worked perfectly.

I attempted to create one using the Lucid desktop iso and it failed to boot. It was a grub2 problem.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Well, usb-creator is designed by Ubuntu developers specifically for Ubuntu. Now this may sound closed -off as it does not support other distros, but there are some valid reasons for this.

Basically, the fact that all the different distros use different methods of livecd creation, different compressed file systems, and different booting methods should be enough reason alone.

One could use a program that can do this for all the different types, and there actually is. It works pretty well, actually, but often it doesn't work for some distros I have tried.

Plus, the tool needs to actually fit on the livecd so I am sure that this is a factor as well. Claiming Microsoft-like actions is a bit far-fetched imo

Comment

Working...
          X