This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ktorrent causing overheating

A little bit ago, my laptop shutdown on its own, which seemed to be from overheating. It was also extremely hot to the touch. After about 15 minutes of cool-down time, I started it back up. Almost instantly, the temperature monitor spiked even when the fan was going at full speed. I checked in htop and Ktorrent was using ~97% of the processor, both cores. Ktorrent was sitting idle with no active transfers. When I closed Ktorrent, the system cooled down quickly and the CPU usage dropped to an average of about 7% at idle. Also there was a crash report. (Yes, the crash report was filed)

Is anybody else experiencing this or have suggestions on fixing it? I'm using Ktorrent 3.2.4 on KDE 4.3.4. This happened shortly after doing an upgrade that consisted of several KDE applications, but I am not sure if Ktorrent is one of the programs that was upgraded.

Thanks.
    Keyboard not detected. Press F1 to continue...

Re: Ktorrent causing overheating

Nothing similar here:

KTorrent 3.2.4 on KDE 4.3.2 in idle modus (no torrents with leechers) takes up less than 1% cpu use

Comment

Might be a corrupt torrent file, or a disk access issue. One can even cause the other. I've never had anything like that happen with KTorrent (<3 KTorrent), but I have had similar issues with Choqok. I've had to go into .kde > share > apps > choqok and delete the folder's contents to get things back to normal.

Also (going sound stupid perhaps), but you really need to take your computer apart and clean everything from time to time. Esp. vents and fans.
      ​"Keep it between the ditches"
      K*Digest Blog
      K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

According to the the guy on KDE's bugzilla, it could be a bug in the version. I was instructed to upgrade to 3.3.1, which is not in any Ubuntu repository (or Kubuntu PPA) and I don't want to use a compiled version on this computer.

I doubt it is a disk access issue or a corrupt torrent considering Ktorrent had no active torrents, as in no torrents loaded and it's a 2 week old hard drive. As for the overheating, it took about 3 hours for the CPU running at max for this to cause a shutdown. The laptop is, however, clean. The fan needs some work, but the CPU usage is the cause.

Instead, I will just use qBittorrent until 3.3.x is available for Kubuntu. Surprisingly, qBittorrent is actually a rather nice torrent program. If I figure out where to setup categories and scheduling inside the program, I might just keep it instead of going back to Ktorrent as it's much lighter and seems to be rather stable. It also looks pretty good, so it fast, light, stable, and easy to look at, it gets my vote for now.
        Keyboard not detected. Press F1 to continue...

Comment

Working...
        X