This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: KDE 4.3.4 has been released

i keep the ppa's on but thats cause i expect to get the newest stuff and test it out
    Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
    (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Originally posted by personman
      On a somewhat related note, I wrote a post in the nvidia linux forums about performance improvements coming to KDE 4.

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=142028

The relevant part regarding KDE 4.3.4 comes from their list of changes:

"A bugfix in Plasma's pixmap cache makes the workspace more responsive"

Sounds cool.
      Don't know if this is just a coincidence but since upgrading to 4.3.4 the jerky page scrolling in Firefox has disappeared. Smooth as silk now!

Regards .....
      Kubuntu User #9802
      Linux Registered User #357086

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle
        KDE 4.3.3 is in kubuntu backports ppa, which you likely have enabled, but KDE 4.3.4 is in kubuntu updates ppa.
        Why was one a backport and the other an update?

Also what happens with security upgrades to these ppa packages? From what I understand ubuntu will upgrade packages for security reasons in the main repos. If there is a security issue with these semi-official kubuntu ppa packages will there be updates to the ppa or are they completely unsupported? Thinking of Rog131's advice to disable ppas after installing.

Comment

installed it last night (didn't have the ppa yet, only backports), so far it seams a bit faster then kde 4.3.3 but it could just be me... , i will have to go check the change log to see where to look for diffs.. but a plasma speed up was included in the change log (noticed when getting the link for here)
          Originally posted by bailout
          Also what happens with security upgrades to these ppa packages? From what I understand ubuntu will upgrade packages for security reasons in the main repos. If there is a security issue with these semi-official kubuntu ppa packages will there be updates to the ppa or are they completely unsupported? Thinking of Rog131's advice to disable ppas after installing.
          thats really up the the ppa mantainer, they update the packages usually. because this ppa is a test for new updates to kubuntu (or at least the kde sc related packages). if bugs are found they should be fixed in this ppa. then eventually added to the main updates, and that brings us to rogs131's advice to disable them, because once they hit the main upgrade path (if they ever do ) new packages come in shortly after that may not be as stable as you would like. at least that is my thought on it but hopefully mr. rog will fill us all in to his reasoning for disabling them.
          Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
          (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Working...
          X