X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kpilot, Jpilot, Zire 31, and Kontact

Just some info to offer.

A month or so ago, I posted a couple of questions about Kpilot and Kontact and try to sync my old Palm Zire31 with Kontact in Jaunty Jackalope. No one was with me on that problem, understandably!! But in case someone has a similar problem, I'd like to offer up what I have found out.

First of all, I still do like my Zire 31. It works well, the software is still quite useful and I don't give a hoot about most "converged" devices. Maybe someday, but not right now. Anyway, after upgrading to Karmic, I tried to figure out if I could do the sync thing again without "sinking" either my Zire's data or my Kontact data. I benched Kpilot, it hasn't been updated in a long time, and no one seems interested. However, Jpilot HAS been updated. USB interfacing is a cinch, and Jpilot is now one of tose things that "just works". It does not interface to Kontact -- no conduits. However, its desktop app on the PC is, well, nice. Nothing to shout about, but it is useful. It also has an export facility.

Upon syncing my Zire with Jpilot to Jpilot's desktop, I tried the File->Export option for both my addresses and my calendar.. It's important to ensure that the file name includes a file extension (.vcf for addresses, .ics for calendar) and that you use the appropriate file type upon export (vCard for addresses, iCal for calendar).

After exporting, go into Kontact and in either Calendar or Contact select to Import data, or view the data. I chose to actually import the Calendar file created from Jpilot, since I had nothing. It worked well with all the "occurrences" and notes being brought in correctly. Since I had already manually recreated my Contact list in JJ (before upgrade to KK), all I did was to add another contact list by selecting the exported Jpilot file name. It looked correct as near as I could tell. Since I already had all my Contacts in Kontact I chose to not try any merger actions. But it worked. Not exactly elegant, but quite frankly it worked better than I thought it would.

So I will continue to write address and calendar updates to my Zire, sync with Jpilot, and export and merge into at least the Calendar in Kontact. I hope this might give someone some ideas about using old, useful hardware again in their daily life. Or at least have the option to do that.

Thanks for letting me share!
    The next brick house on the left
    Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Re: Kpilot, Jpilot, Zire 31, and Kontact

Thanks for sharing even though you didn't get a response to the original post. I can't imagine ever giving up my TX, which I also sync using J-Pilot. I once tried integrating the Palm's data with Kontact, but it somehow wanted to make infinite copies of some appointments, so I never went back.

Two questions. If you like the J-Pilot desktop, why do you continue using Kontact? And, don't you have to do the export/import routine every time you enter a new appointment in the Palm?

Comment

Working...
    X