This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Akonadi's Google resources

When I add an event to my Akonadi GCAL resource, it updates my google calendar. So within minute of updating a calendar event, the same change occurs on my G1.

My question is; does the same apply to my kaddressbook google resource? It does not seem to but it could be working slower, or it just is not set up properly.

Has anyone had/solved this problem? Is there something I am missing?
    &quot;Your doctrines are grandiose but useless, that is why no one accepts them.&quot; Hui Tzu<br />____________ __ __ __ __ __ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ <br />AMD Phenom II x4 940 Denab 3.708Ghz Black Edition<br />XFX NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT 710MHz<br />G.SKILL 2x2GB DDR2<br />Kubuntu 9.10....&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp; ....oh and w7 for games

Re: Akonadi's Google resources

okay. I upgrade to karmic and i spend a week futzing around getting akonadi to work. Then I finally get all the resources set up...hey google data syncs up.

but no _useful_ applications are actually functional with it that I can see. I've read some rather elderly posts/blogs that it's going to be quite a while for an akonadi enabled kontact-pim to be developed...so why exactly was akonadi thrust on to my system when nothing I had already installed via jaunty actually integrates with it?

So what's the gimmick here? Are there any _useful_ applications yet? Looking at the akonadi kde development site...there's not really been any news since the near end of 2008...

I think it's time to _____ or get off the pot on this one. Make it useful or make it gone. Wikipedia refers to akonadi as one the the core pillars of KDE...apparently that was written by someone with a bit of a bias.

So who's brilliant idea was this? Back to using KDE the 'old fashioned way'...which from what I've seen so far...this is just another mousetrap...not a better one.

PIM guys...POST SOME NEWS. Kubuntu guys...seriously? I dunno...seems like Karmic Koala needs re-christened "Kram the Koala".

If there is something useful out there...point me and the rest of the user community to it.

Please.

Comment

Re: Akonadi's Google resources

You can get the address book to work with gmail contacts but only partly. There's an akonadi google resources library in the repos that you can then specify as the source of contacts in Kaddressbook. Once the resource is installed, when you bring up Kaddressbook, you'll see a new Akonadi resource available. After messing with it a bit, I got it basically working.

The big issue though was many of the multi-value fields (e.g. phone #) only sync as single value fields which made it basically useless for me until that issue is fixed. The problem relates to a deficiency in the libgcal C library and google's constant upgrading of gmail APIs.

The project home for this is here: http://code.google.com/p/libgcal/
      And here's an interesting blog post on it: http://www.kdedevelopers.org/node/4049

I really wanted it working so I could sync my phone (Motorola Droid) with my KDE contacts and vice-versa through gmail. For now, I've given up on that though and just manage them directly in gmail.

Comment

Working...
      X