X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

copy and paste max out cpu!!

hello,
    I would just like to say before I begin, that karmic is (to me) a rock solid release! Loads of things that I have had trouble with in the past just worked straight out of the box.
    HOw ever something I have noticed is that when I copy files my cpu gets maxed out and the temperature rockets! even after the copy has finished nepomukserver continues to hog the cpu and the temp doesnt drop! but if I copy from the command line the cpu doesnt go much above 40-50%! Whats the deal i finished copying 5 gigs of pictures 8 mins ago and its still at 99%! not very cool
    what can i do?
    thanks in advance
    ciao
    ps also konqueror seems to be a cpu hog as well!!

Re: copy and paste max out cpu!!

It looks like nepomukserver is indexing your changes. But, I suspect that you have 1GB or less of RAM.

A lot of people find that running nepomukserver isn't necessary.

You can stop the server by using the service command as root.

sudo service --status-all

will list all your services and you can check to see if you have nepomukserver, akondai or strigi running.

man service

tells you how to use the command.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

yeah i do have 1 gig of ram! how do i stop nepomukserver from running? i can stop it using ctr esc and killing it like that but that means i have to do it every time!

Comment

Manually, you can issue

kquitapp NepomukServer

from a Konsole.

Or, you can create a script containing

#1/bin/bash
        kquitapp NepomukServer

in a directory under your home account, markt it executable, and install it as a KDE startup script in systemsettings --> Advanced --> AutoStart.

OR, you can uninstall nepomukserver completely using Synaptic, and just use

sudo updatedb

to update the "locate" database (which is done regularly by a cron script anyway), so you can use locate to find things in a konsole, if you need to.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Or

K -> System Settings -> Advanced -> Desktop Search -> Uncheck "Enable Nepomuk Semantic Desktop"
          Click Apply

Comment

thanx guys, why is it so resource hungry? Will it always be? will I ever be able to have this feature running on my laptop or is it realy only possible for people who have more than a gig of ram?
            thanx again

Comment

bump

Comment

I've heard that it has something to do with creating the initial index. Once it's done doing that it isn't such a hog. But, I have no clue if that is correct, and if it is, how long the indexing would take.

Comment

See How To Enable Nepomuk/Strigi Desktop Search in Kubuntu 9.10/KDE4.3
                  Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                  Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                  "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

grey geek how would I go about creating the initial index? The problem is when I copy new media on to the harddisk, then it just goes mental and sucks all the cpu and heats up like crazy! Will it ever get less resource hungry?

Comment

Open systemsettings (Kmenu -->settings --> settings. and select the advanced tab.

On the advanced tab click on desktop search. On that dialog click on the advanced tab.

Make sure that ONLY your home account directories are checked, and but not your hidden directories, or the rest of the system directories.

Click apply.

If your non-hidden home directories ARE the only ones that are checked then perhaps you don't have enough RAM or your CPU isn't fast enough?

Comment

whats enough ram and a fast enough cpu these days? I hvae 1 gig of ram and a 2 gig cpu (celeron I think!)!?!

Comment

That's more than sufficient.
                          Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I am running kubuntu 10.04 Lucid LTS desktop (upgraded from 9.04) on AMD Athlon X2 64 6000+ which means frequencies of 3.2 Ghz. ram, 4 GB.
                            The file indexing of KDE , virtuoso-t, nepomukserver, nepomukservices and pals are keeping my CPUs stuck at 3100 MHz hogging their cycles at 40%-50% until the cores go over 70 C. for hours strong.

solution: go to K Menu-> Computer -> sysyem settings ->advanced -> Desktop search and disable the hell out of it.

who needs desktop indexing ? I live happily with old locate(1) which won't swell my power bill or melt the CPU, or both.

Comment

I live happily with old locate
                              +1

Comment

Working...
                              X