• Show
Clear All

wine repository

set the wine repository as described on the wine download site:

ppa:ubuntu-wine/ppa

when I do:

sudo apt-get update

I get the following message:

E: The method driver /usr/lib/apt/methods/ppa could not be found.
    E: The method driver /usr/lib/apt/methods/ppa could not be found.

what am I doing wrong? The wine download page doesn't mention anything about needing anything else. Is the wine download page incorrect, it looks strange compared to previous Ubuntu version.

changed to:

deb http://wine.budgetdedicated.com/apt karmic main #WineHQ - Ubuntu 9.10 "Karmic Koala"

to match previous versions.

apt-get gives the following messages:

Err http://wine.budgetdedicated.com karmic/main Packages
    404 Not Found [IP: 81.171.111.247 80]

and

W: Failed to fetch http://wine.budgetdedicated.com/apt/...86/Packages.gz 404 Not Found [IP: 81.171.111.247 80]

E: Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old ones used instead.

so that isn't the problem.

Re: wine repository

I hate using graphical package managers and prefer using the command line
    Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-wine/ppa

Comment

Originally posted by skunk
      I hate using graphical package managers and prefer using the command line
      Code:
      sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-wine/ppa
      Okay - but that doesn't answer my question on how to use the ppa repository.

Comment

Code:
        sudo apt-get update
        Will update the cache with the latest versions of all the repos including the pps
        Code:
        sudo apt-get upgrade
        Will then upgrade the version you have installed to the latest and greatest

BTW. Are you aware that the standard ubuntu repositories contain a package called "wine1.2" which contains wine-1.1.31 without having to add any ppas?

Comment

Originally posted by skunk
          Code:
          sudo apt-get update
          Will update the cache with the latest versions of all the repos including the pps
          Code:
          sudo apt-get upgrade
          Will then upgrade the version you have installed to the latest and greatest

BTW. Are you aware that the standard ubuntu repositories contain a package called "wine1.2" which contains wine-1.1.31 without having to add any ppas?
          your "solution" has no effect beyond downloading over 71MB and installing on the "upgrade" command. The "update" command signaled no updates.

Which makes me wonder - are there really that many upgrades on 9.10 already?? It's been out, what, 2 weeks

apt-get still doesn't know what to do with a ppa repository.

Comment

When they say "ppa:ubuntu-wine/ppa", that's not the entire line AFAIK. I added the line using the aforementioned "add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-wine/ppa" command myself, and the resulting file created as "/etc/apt/sources.list.d/ubuntu-wine-ppa-karmic.list" consists of this:

Code:
            deb [url]http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntu-wine/ppa/ubuntu[/url] karmic main
            That's what a PPA line should look like, and more specifically that's what the modern Karmic Wine line is. I suspect what's happening is that Ubuntu's package manager (ie. Synaptic) has been modified to transform lines like "ppa:nameofppa/subsection" into working repository lines when it adds them, but KPackageKit (which I assume is what you used) isn't doing that. So what you'll probably want to do is just go modify the line to match my example above.

And, in the future, you can indeed add PPAs with the command "add-apt-repository ppa:nameofppa/subsection" (or in other words, what they say when they go "if you're on karmic, you can add this PPA by adding...". This also has the added benefit of automatically downloading the signing key too.

Comment

P.S., yes indeed there's at least 70mb of updates already; on my main computer, which has TONS of software installed, there's been far more. The reality is that open source projects often follow the "release early, release often" mantra, and are also often (not always, but often) quite productive, since anyone can submit a patch to fix something or add new features or etc etc.

So, each (K)Ubuntu release actually tends to fall further and further behind the state of the software it carries as time goes on (especially the kernel itself, which tends to get several main releases between each release of (K)Ubuntu). Furthermore, often it's hard to find bugs in the specific versions of software that come with the point release until tons of people are battering away at it. So what you have in the end is a drive to make sure, in the short window between the release and the vague "alright, the release process itself is over with", that the release gets as solid and up-to-date as possible. Think of it as putting the final touches on while it solidifies. Thus, at least in my entirely non-meticulous personal experience, there's more updates in the first couple weeks than there is in the entire rest of the lifespan of a non-LTS release.

Comment

Originally posted by KeithZG
                When they say "ppa:ubuntu-wine/ppa", that's not the entire line AFAIK. I added the line using the aforementioned "add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-wine/ppa" command myself, and the resulting file created as "/etc/apt/sources.list.d/ubuntu-wine-ppa-karmic.list" consists of this:

Code:
                deb [url]http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntu-wine/ppa/ubuntu[/url] karmic main
                That's what a PPA line should look like, and more specifically that's what the modern Karmic Wine line is. I suspect what's happening is that Ubuntu's package manager (ie. Synaptic) has been modified to transform lines like "ppa:nameofppa/subsection" into working repository lines when it adds them, but KPackageKit (which I assume is what you used) isn't doing that. So what you'll probably want to do is just go modify the line to match my example above.

And, in the future, you can indeed add PPAs with the command "add-apt-repository ppa:nameofppa/subsection" (or in other words, what they say when they go "if you're on karmic, you can add this PPA by adding...". This also has the added benefit of automatically downloading the signing key too.
                Thanks - that solved the problem. I can now get wine updates. As soon as I added the repository, I was notified of a new wine update.

One thing that really bugs me about Kpackagekit - there are 3 buttons on the bottom: "OK", "Apply" and "cancel". I keep clicking on "OK' after selecting all updates
                thinking that it will do the updates. It closes Kpackagekit in about 1 or 2 seconds and leaves me wondering what happened and if it is updating in the background I open Kpackagekit again and it finally dawns on me - AGAIN - that I need "Apply" and NOT "OK". I just wish they would relabel the "OK" button so that it wasn't so confusing.

Comment

You're entirely right; it should really be instead a "close" button or, alternatively, prompt "changes haven't been applied yet", which wouldn't stop someone from choosing that as a wrong option to start with but would save time and confusion re-starting KPackageKit at least.

From my perspective, KPackageKit has in a short time gone from a buggy, unusable mess to a seemingly solid program . . . but as relatively stable as it now is, UI-wise there's definitely a lot of work to do.

Comment

Yes - "Close" that's what their "Ok" button really does. It "closes" the app without doing anything.

Comment

Working...
                    X