This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time and date auto-setting - a problem?

I love the facility to have Kubuntu automatically synchronise its time with a server... but it seems I pretty much have to do this automatic process manually!

When I go to System Settings > Date & Time the option 'Set date and time automatically' is ALWAYS unchecked. If I check it, and select a server from the pull-down menu, then the clock is updated when I press 'Apply'. But as soon as I leave the panel the whole thing resets itself: when I come back the 'Set date and time automatically' option is unchecked and the server has resets to the default pool.ntp.org

I've tried to search but didn't have much luck as the words 'date' and 'time' are so common! Does anybody know of a fix, or is this an established bug?

Re: Time and date auto-setting - a problem?

same issue here....

Comment

Re: Time and date auto-setting - a problem?

Had the same problem since 9.04 and, I'm pretty sure, earlier versions.

Did a little more research on my earlier versions.

This is one of those areas where (K)Ubuntu has taken a step backward.

In 8.xx versions, the auto-time/date worked. At least for me. I could even change the time servers used.

In 9.04, it stopped working altogether and would no longer let me set the time server used (never have figured why).

In 9.10, it will now update date/time, but I also have to do this manually by opening the time/date system settings window.

I figure that what happened is that the original code was written by one or more persons. In transitioning to 9.04, different people inherited the code and immediately stripped out all of the code they didn't understand and/or the functions they didn't agree with. So they ended up crippling the function.

Just my deduction and I could be all wrong, but I've seen it happen before, not only in open source but also commercial code.

No doubt by (K)Ubuntu 10.xx it will be inherited by different people. Pretty sure this will happen since it has been non-functional for 2 versions now (9.04 and 9.10) which means that the people that are supposed to be working on it have moved on to something else or have stopped laying attention to it. It will change again, maybe for the better and maybe for the worse. At least now I can do the update manually. In 9.04 even that didn't work. I had to boot into Vista about once a month to have the h/w clock set off the time servers I had used in 8.xx.

Comment

Working...
      X