This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

whatta joke...........

sorry for the poor attitude, but seriously, as someone who has been using Ubuntu/Kubuntu since Hoary, things only seem to make some big leaps forward and then go tumbling backwards. Installing graphics drivers used to be a real pain in the beginning, then it got easy, then it got harder, then you had to use envy, then jockey made it easy again, then it went full circle back to retarded. Finally got my semi-old nvidia card to output the correct resolution (had to edit xorg.conf to add my correct refresh rates, which isn't used, unless it is?!?) ok, solved, rolling, then.......audio. Audio kinda worked "outta the box", but one kinda big problem - only one application could use audio at one time. Ohhh-K. Found pulseaudio wasn't installed, so going on past experience (one whole release ago), I installed pulsesadio and set everything in phonon to use that, which worked before. Now? nada, after a few hours of fiddling/googling/drinking/etc., pulseaudio is now back to uninstalled and I am back to one-app-at-a-time audio. sweet jeebus, I'm at a loss, and at this point there doesn't seem to be one straight-forward solution. some use pulseaudio, some don't. it isn't installed by default. why? dunno. what should you use? dunno. arghhhhhh......sorry for the rant, but it really irritates me that after years of using linux/'buntus, the simplest of things have gotten so far outta whack....So any suggestions for audio on Karmic?

Re: whatta joke...........

Originally posted by jabeez
    sorry for the poor attitude, . . .
    There's probably a fix for that.

Comment

Originally posted by Ole Juul
      usually it's vodka....then I run into a (self-imposed, to a degree) problem like this and.....ARGHHHHHH!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ole Juul
        Allow me to recommend that you take a 200 mg tablet of SAMe (pronounced "sammy") twice a day, at least two hours after the last meal or one half-hour before the next meal, i.e., on an empty stomach. You can get 90 pills in individual blister packs from SAMS for under $40. It's effects have been well documented by good research and well exaggerated by the homoeopathic industry. I am a member of the 10% of the population which has an allergic reaction to NeutraSweet (Aspartame) and it put me into severe depression, among other things. SAMe helped me over come that depression. It is a substance which the body normally makes but as one gets under stress, or gets older, or gets low on B vitamins, less of it is made.

http://www.biopsychiatry.com/sameart.html
        SAMe (known formally as S-adenosylmethionine) is not an herb or a hormone. It's a molecule that all living cells, including our own, produce constantly. To appreciate its importance, you need to understand a process called methylation. It's a simple transaction in which one molecule donates a four-atom appendage—a so-called methyl group—to a neighbouring molecule. Both the donor and the recipient change shape in the process, and the transformations can have far-reaching effects. Methylation occurs a billion times a second throughout the body, affecting everything from fetal development to brain function. It regulates the expression of genes. It preserves the fatty membranes that insulate our cells. And it helps regulate the action of various hormones and neurotransmitters, including serotonin, melatonin, dopamine and adrenaline. As biochemist Craig Cooney observes in his new book, "Methyl Magic," "Without methylation there could be no life as we know it."

And without SAMe, there could be no methylation as we know it. Though various molecules can pass methyl groups to their neighbours, SAMe is the most active of all methyl donors. Our bodies make SAMe from methionine, an amino acid found in protein-rich foods, then continually recycle it. Once a SAMe molecule loses its methyl group, it breaks down to form homocysteine. Homocysteine is extremely toxic if it builds up within cells. But with the help of several B vitamins (B6, B12 and folic acid), our bodies convert homocysteine into glutathione, a valuable antioxidant, or "remethylate" it back into methionine.

SAMe and homocysteine are essentially two versions of the same molecule—one benign and one dangerous. When our cells are well stocked with B vitamins, the brisk pace of methylation keeps homocysteine levels low. But when we're low on those vitamins, homocysteine can build up quickly, stalling the production of SAMe and causing countless health problems. High homocysteine is a major risk factor for heart attack and stroke. During pregnancy, it raises the risk of spina bifida and other birth defects. And many studies have implicated it in depression.
        Whatever the mechanism, there is little question that SAMe can help fight depression. Since the 1970s, researchers have published 40 clinical studies involving roughly 1,400 patients. And though the studies are small by FDA standards, the findings are remarkably consistent. In 1994 Dr. Giorgio Bressa, a psychiatrist at the University Cattolica Sacro Cuore in Rome, pooled results from a dozen controlled trials and found that "the efficacy of SAMe in treating depressive syndromes... is superior [to] that of placebo and comparable to that of standard... antidepressants."
        No one has found SAMe significantly more effective than a prescription antidepressant, but it's clearly less toxic.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
        X