This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Resolved] No sound output with Rhythmbox

I have recently installed rhythmbox on karmic. My whole music collection is in mp3 format. I have enabled universe, multivers & medibuntu repositories and installed all the codecs that I could search out instrux for.

followed the following instructions from http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=766683

instructions used

64-Bit Kubuntu Users:

Code:
    sudo apt-get remove gnash gnash-common libflashsupport mozilla-plugin-gnash swfdec-mozilla && sudo apt-get install alsa-oss faac faad flashplugin-nonfree ia32-libs ia32-sun-java6-bin icedtea6-plugin libk3b2-extracodecs libmp3lame0 libtunepimp5-mp3 libxine1-ffmpeg non-free-codecs openjdk-6-jre unrar
    *****Next Step: Changed my preferred format to MP3 using the following instructions:

(source used) http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...oblem.-580494/

instructions used
    If you need to store tracks in the MP3 format (for example, if your portable music player only supports MP3 and not Ogg Vorbis), you will need to create a new profile. To do this, click on Edit Profiles, click New, and name the profile MP3.

Select the MP3 profile and click the Edit button.
    Set GStreamer Pipeline to audio/x-raw-int,rate=44100,channels=2 ! lame name=enc ! id3mux

Set the File Extension to mp3, and select the Active check box.
    You will have to restart Sound Juicer to see the new audio profile.

This profile uses the LAME MP3 encoder, so you will need to have the GStreamer LAME plugin installed.
    Problem:

Rhythmbox now recognizes & plays my music, but there is absolutely no sound output. I have checked the volume levels on the player & kmixer.

If any of you guys have some time to take a look at this I would as always greatly appreciate your feed back if you can help

BTW, Amarok currently works on my system

***One more thing that might be of some help.... When I try to start rhythmbox from the command line I get the following messages:

Code:
    ben@HP:~$ rhythmbox

** (rhythmbox:5535): CRITICAL **: atk_object_set_name: assertion `name != NULL' failed

** (rhythmbox:5535): CRITICAL **: atk_object_set_name: assertion `name != NULL' failed

(rhythmbox:5535): Rhythmbox-WARNING **: Unable to grab media player keys: Could not get owner of name 'org.gnome.SettingsDaemon': no such name
    System<br />HP Pavilion 061 with dual boot,&nbsp; Kubuntu Lucid 10.04 &amp; Windows XP Professional SP3<br />model#: PU061AV<br />X-86 based PC<br />AMD Athlon 64 processor 3200+1.79GHz<br />2 GB of RAM<br />Video:NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 (dedicated)<br />hard drive: Maxtor 6Y080M0, 60GB

[Resolved] Re: No sound output with Rhythmbox

I finally found a solution for this one. I wanted to let everyone know what the problem turned out to be. I was searching for similar problems and came across a couple of threads where the solution to their sound issues was to change settings in "alsa mixer". This is also what worked for me. All audio players are working on my system now!

You can use "alsamixer" via commandline. Or you can install gnome-alsamixer from the repositories and it gives you a nice GUI to work with.

Code:
    ben@HP:~$ alsamixer
    I used the GUI version. Unmuted everything & made sure all relevant volumes were turned to the max level. e.g. PCM, master, line, .....& others

This worked for me as soon as implemented.
    System<br />HP Pavilion 061 with dual boot,&nbsp; Kubuntu Lucid 10.04 &amp; Windows XP Professional SP3<br />model#: PU061AV<br />X-86 based PC<br />AMD Athlon 64 processor 3200+1.79GHz<br />2 GB of RAM<br />Video:NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 (dedicated)<br />hard drive: Maxtor 6Y080M0, 60GB

Comment

Re: [Resolved] No sound output with Rhythmbox

I had the same problem. No sound at all.
      I just uninstalled pulseaudio, restarted the computer, got a dialog to remove the pulseaudio channels from Kmix -> now everything works again.

Comment

Re: [Resolved] No sound output with Rhythmbox

The solution provided by tlue also works fine for me. Thanks

Comment

Working...
        X