This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OpenOffice Calc reliably crashing

Arrrgh! Have had this problem before, but not for this reason. It happened to me a lot a couple of versions back.

Now, with 9.10, from the beginning, with a fresh install, I can reliably crash OO/Calc by:
    * selecting a sheet's tab, or a group of cells in a sheet, then trying to move it with my mouse, OR
    * by grabbing anything with the mouse and taking the mouse out of the Calc window (it happens sometimes).

Instant death, every time. Cut and paste is fine, as is the move tab right-click function. It's must grab-and-move functions that fail reliably.

I don't much use anything else in OO, so I cannot say how likely this sort of thing is to happen in other applications.

I've searched the forums a bit, and don't see anyone else complaining about this. I waited a couple of week just so I could see if it was just me. Is it? Anyone else with this problem??

Any ideas how I can fix it?

Re: OpenOffice Calc reliably crashing

I don't do those maneuvers routinely, but I just tried them, on an empty spreadsheet, and it doesn't crash.

I have the impression, from observing posts about OOO issues, that it is fairly sensitive to the video setup, glx, compiz, etc. etc. If you can do some experiments, such as disabling Desktop Effects, changing to a VESA display, etc., you might learn something about the problem.

Comment

Fascinating. Sounds very plausible. Will experiment as you propose. THANKS for the idea.

Comment

UPDATE: I find that the problem replicates quite well on my HP Mini 110-1033 netbook, which has a clean install of Karmic (NOT the netbook version). This strongly suggests something is wrong that is not installation specific, does it not?

Comment

I can replicate one of these problems; selecting a sheet's tab and moving it with the mouse. The other examples you mention have no adverse effect.

Enabling/disabling desktop effects makes no difference.
          Kubuntu 20.04(AMD64)/KDE 5

Comment

Working...
          X