This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: [NOT RESOLVED] Thunderbird lookup VERY slow in Kubuntu 9.10

First, thanks for your long post! I appreciate it.
    Btw, the router is a Netopia ADSl router, but the model doesn't show when I log onto it.
    Opps! Should have asked. I assumed your wireless router was one supplied by a cable tv vendor, like roadrunner, cox, or earthlink.

Are you using Kppp, which is for ADSL modems, to make your connection?
    'I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week sometimes to make it up.' Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by joneall
      First, thanks for your long post! I appreciate it.

I checked the router config, which looks ok as far as I can see. The DNS addresses are as specified by the ISP, except they are interchanged, primary and secondary. I don't see how that can matter and, in any case, I have no idea how to change them. Btw, the router is a Netopia ADSl router, but the model doesn't show when I log onto it.

I emptied (completely) resolv.conf and rebooted. (I don't know how else to get knetworkmanage to do its thing, since it's already running after reboot.)

Same result: $ cat resolv.conf
      # Generated by NetworkManager
      nameserver 192.168.1.254

This is the address of the router itself.

Am I condemned to rewriting resolv.conf every time I boot? Why did this "work" with Jaunty, but does not with Koala? (I do not know what was in resolv.conf in Jaunty.)

Hi.

I think that is a DNS problem, not IPv6. I'm not sure.

What kind of IPs are you using? DHCP (automatic from the router) or static (fixed by you in each equipement)?

Originally posted by joneall
      I put a Google DNS server address in, as your link suggested, and DNS lookup by Thunderbird is super-fast now.
      You can try the following:
      change the file resolv.conf with the parameters that works fine and change the file permissions to just only read permission.

Comment

Have you tried disabling ipv6 in thunderbird itself?

Go Edit > Preferences > Config Editor
        and look for network.dns.disableIPv6 make sure it's set to true
        No more ipv6
        Dont pretend you havent noticed my cardboard box, Julia, because I know you have!

Comment

Originally posted by devnulljp
          Have you tried disabling ipv6 in thunderbird itself?

Go Edit > Preferences > Config Editor
          and look for network.dns.disableIPv6 make sure it's set to true
          No more ipv6
          Now there is a good idea! Note that the config editor is rather buried in "Preferences", way out in the "Advanced" tab.

Btw, setting the resolv.conf permissions to read-only had no effect.
          'I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week sometimes to make it up.' Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
          X