This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[NOT RESOLVED] Thunderbird lookup VERY slow in Kubuntu 9.10

Firefox seems ok, but it says it's not using IPV6.

I tried the same thing I did with an earlier release,

sudo echo "blacklist ipv6" >> /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist

(Actually, the blacklist file did not exist as such, so I created it with touch first)

but I still see this:

jon@jon-desktop:~$ ip a | grep inet6
    inet6 ::1/128 scope host
    inet6 fe80::211:11ff:fe17:5c34/64 scope link
    jon@jon-desktop:~$ lsmod | grep ipv6
    jon@jon-desktop:~$

I have no idea why this happens and I certainly don't feel like fritzing about with the config of my router.

Help, please.
    'I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week sometimes to make it up.' Mark Twain

Re: Thunderbird lookup VERY slow in Kubuntu 9.10

When you say "thuderbird lookup" do you mean that Thunderbird is slow connecting to your ISP mail server?

I am running the 64b version of Kubuntu 9.10 and I use Thunderbird. I get the same results as you do for the commands you listed in your post.

But, Thunderbird is very fast connecting with and interacting with my 10Mb/s Earthlink ISP mailserver.

My wireless router is a Linksys WRT54GL set at 54Mb/s with TKIP-PSK.

ipconfig gives

wlan0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr *****************
    inet addr:192.168.1.101 Bcast:192.168.1.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
    inet6 addr: fe80::216:eaff:fe4d:58aa/64 Scope:Link
    UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    RX packets:22075 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:12139 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
    RX bytes:9776566 (9.7 MB) TX bytes:1516032 (1.5 MB)

You said you tried

sudo echo "blacklist ipv6" >> /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist
    but that file isn't under a normal Kubuntu installation:
    jerry@Sonyvgnfw140e:~$ vdir /etc/modprobe.d/
    total 28
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2497 2009-10-11 17:07 alsa-base.conf
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 325 2009-09-15 16:55 blacklist-ath_pci.conf
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1603 2009-09-15 16:55 blacklist.conf
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 213 2009-09-15 16:55 blacklist-firewire.conf
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 662 2009-09-15 16:55 blacklist-framebuffer.conf
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 156 2009-10-11 17:07 blacklist-modem.conf
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 41 2009-11-10 17:17 blacklist-oss.conf -> /lib/linux-sound-base/noOSS.modprobe.conf
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1077 2009-09-15 16:55 blacklist-watchdog.conf
    Perhaps using

sudo echo "blacklist ipv6" >> /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf

instead may help?
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I believe ipv6 is no longer loaded as a module in the 2.6.31 kernels.

In order to globally disable it, you need to pass a command line parameter to the kernel on startup. Unfortunately, the procedure to do this depends on whether you are using grub or grub2

http://www.webupd8.org/2009/11/how-t...buntu-910.html
      http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1307259

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek
        When you say "thuderbird lookup" do you mean that Thunderbird is slow connecting to your ISP mail server?
        I meant it sits for >10 seconds in "Looking up mail-server-name".

My wireless router is a Linksys WRT54GL set at 54Mb/s with TKIP-PSK.
        Mine is a Netopia something or other. It may be a problem of my router not liking IPv6, but I really would not like to get into that, as I don't understand router configs very much.

ipconfig gives

wlan0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr *****************
        inet addr:192.168.1.101 Bcast:192.168.1.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
        inet6 addr: fe80::216:eaff:fe4d:58aa/64 Scope:Link
        UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
        RX packets:22075 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
        TX packets:12139 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
        collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
        RX bytes:9776566 (9.7 MB) TX bytes:1516032 (1.5 MB)
        I see something quite similar.

Perhaps using

sudo echo "blacklist ipv6" >> /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf

instead may help?
        I'll give that a try. Thanks!
        'I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week sometimes to make it up.' Mark Twain

Comment

Skunk, your link suggests trying the Jaunty method:

sudo su -
          echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv6/conf/all/disable_ipv6

which contains "0" in the default Karmic installation. I'll see how that does on my next boot.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by joneall

sudo su -

which contains "0" in the default Karmic installation. I'll see how that does on my next boot.

Thanks!
            My /proc/sys/net/ipv6/conf/all/disable_ipv6 contains a "0" but my Thunderbird continues to hook up almost instantly.
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Originally posted by joneall

sudo su -

Thanks!
              My /proc/sys/net/ipv6/conf/all/disable_ipv6 contains a "0" but my Thunderbird continues to hook up almost instantly.
              Many ISPs / router firmware (especially older models) have problems with ipv6 addresses.

Comment

Originally posted by skunk
                Many ISPs / router firmware (especially older models) have problems with ipv6 addresses.
                I suspect this is my problem. How old is "older"? Mine is at least 5 years old. The mods I implemented last night had no effect.

Comment

Damn! > It's not just Thunderbird. Mozilla is slower than molasses too. Every time it makes a fresh ftp connection, it sites in resolving address for a minute or two. Often, it times out and starts all over.

And yet nslookup finds the address immediately.

Very frustrating!

Isn't there any standard way (i mean, by parameters in system settings) to stop this IPv6? It's extremely annoying! The method I used before doesn't work any more, nor do any of the methods suggested here -- except I haven't tried the method of modifying Grub. I really do not feel like rendering my system unbootable because of something stupid like this.

No more suggestions...?

Comment

The only difference between yours and my installation is the hardware we are running.

Any chance you could try a more recent wireless router and/or modem?

Comment

Any chance you could try a more recent wireless router and/or modem?
                      Well, for local political reasons, I will have to change to cable in a few months and that will, I suppose, change the router at the same time. So I'm loath to buy a new one now.

I discovered that by giving the IP address, like 123.456.789.12, to Filezilla, it works perfectly. I'll have to try that with Thunderbird. 'Course, the day that changes...

Maybe I could just put the server's IP address in the /etc/hosts file. Would that be simpler?

Anyway, thanks for the comment.

Comment

An IP address works instantly?

That's a classic sympton of an empty /etc/resolv.conf file.

IF you are using dhcp then that file should have your domain name and DNS IP addresses filled in automatically.
                        It not, then you are responsible for filling that data in.

Mine contains:
                        domain earthlink.net
                        search earthlink.net
                        nameserver 207.69.188.186
                        nameserver 207.69.188.187
                        You can use public DNS IP addresses:
                        http://theos.in/windows-xp/free-fast...s-server-list/

Comment

An IP address works instantly?

That's a classic sympton of an empty /etc/resolv.conf file.
                          That was it -- almost. In fact, resolv.conf contained an address, 192.168.1.254, which gave

$ cat resolv.conf.ORG
                          # Generated by NetworkManager
                          nameserver 192.168.1.254
                          jon@jon-desktop:/etc$ nslookup 192.168.1.254
                          Server: 8.8.8.8
                          Address: 8.8.8.8#53

** server can't find 254.1.168.192.in-addr.arpa: REFUSED

which is no better than empty. I put a Google DNS server address in, as your link suggested, and DNS lookup by Thunderbird is super-fast now.

Question, tho: That bad address was put there by the KK installation. Why?

In any case, thanks for the solution!

Comment

Re: [RESOLVED] Thunderbird lookup VERY slow in Kubuntu 9.10

This URL will explain the various reserved IP addresses, private addresses, etc..

The 192.168.*.* IP addresses are reserved for private use on local networks. They cannot be accessed from the Internet. Your ISP supplies you a valid Internet IP address that Internet side of your wireless router shows to the outside world as your IP address. The computer side of your wireless router dispenses an address in the 192.168.*.* range that becomes the private IP address of your computer in the wireless network of which you computer may be attached, many times the only computer attached to the wireless network. Other computers linked through the router will have different IP addresses in the 192.168.*.* range.

I set up my Linksys WRT54GL wireless router to begin dispensing a maximum of 5 IP addresses starting at 192.168.1.100. I have my Linksys Wireless printer server configured ad-hoc to give my Samsung ML-1210 lasar printer an IP address of 192.168.1.99, so that CUPS on all the computers connected to the WRT54GL can use that same Printer IP address without fear of conflicting with another IP or with the printer's IP conflicting with a computer's IP.

I do not know why your /etc/resolv.conf file contained the private network address 192.168.1.254.

But, if you disconnect your wireless connection, and as root empty /etc/resolv.conf and save it (0 bytes), then use wicd or knetworkmanager (whatever) to reconnect, dhcp *should* populate recolv.conf with the information that your IPS gave your wireless router -- its ISP domain name, search domain name and two DNS addresses.
                            If it doesn't then there is a misconfiguration in your wireless router. Either your wireless router is not populating resolv.conf or it is putting garbage in it, or it is putting good info in it.

If it is not populating it then you can save

domain your_isp_domain_name
                            search your_isp_domain_name (or google.com)
                            nameserver the_published_dns1_addresses_of_your_isp or google's dns1
                            nameserver the_published_dns2_addresses_of_your_isp or google's dns2

in your copy of resolv.conf.

If it is populating it but the contents are garbage, then login to your wireless router and reconfigure it.

If it repopulated your resolv.conf with good info and you can now navigate the network with your ISP's info then allis well.

Comment

Re: [NOT RESOLVED] Thunderbird lookup VERY slow in Kubuntu 9.10

I definitely have a problem, probably as you say, with the router.

I rebooted the computer and now /etc/resolv.conf contains the same dummy address

$ cat /etc/resolv.conf
                              # Generated by NetworkManager
                              nameserver 192.168.1.254

What gives, that it is being rewritten at boot time? Only the owner (root) has write access to the file.

I guess I'll have to go into the router (sigh). This is my gripe with Linux. Frankly, Windoze works better here. I could never give Linux to my wife to use.

More later...

Comment

Working...
                              X