This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting Kubuntu to use my usb headphones

I want to listen to the audio of a movie through my usb headphones, i've put them in, and in system settings-> multimedia, i've changed the top preference for audio output to be my usb headphones. Now i've opened the film in both vlc and smplayer, and with each, the sound comes out through my laptop headphones. How do i get this working?

Re: Getting Kubuntu to use my usb headphones

I experienced the same problem with my usb speakers in VLC. It worked in Jaunty, but after upgrade to Karmic it failed. I had no response here on my topic with this problem
    http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3107828.0

I use oss sound with /dev/dsp1 in VLC and I think something is wrong with it either on the side of Karmic or a new version of VLC. The usb sound works for me in Kaffeine and in Dragon, they obviously use another approach. But none of them can handle subtitles, if you care.

Maybe suitable workaround for you is to change video player to some that works and wait at least till Kubuntu 10.04. My workaround was to change speakers to that with 3,5 mm jack.

I hope you have the slider for usb sound up in the mixer (a speaker icon in system tray).
    Kubuntu 16.04 on two computers and Kubuntu 17.04 on DELL Latitude 13

Comment

Kaffeine and dragon don't seem to work at all for me, i don't have any movie player that works with the headphones atm :/

yep i have the slider for usb sound in the kmixer window

Comment

I tried google "usb headphone kubuntu karmic" and saw we are not alone. I think it is a bug and has to be solved. Once.

Comment

Thats a shame

If i remember correctly it used to work fine with gnome's sound preference window. I just clicked output->usb headphones, is there some way to use gnome's sound preference window in kubuntu?

Comment

gnome's sound preference window
            I think here is kde sound preference window instead, which you used without success as you described. By the way, did you change preferencies there for all categories, especially for video and did you use test button? Did you hear the sound from USB headphones at least at that moment? I did.

Comment

I got my usb headphones to work by installing and configuring PulseAudio. It wasn't easy but got through it with some "googling" help.

Fred

Comment

Yep i've set usb headphones as defualt for everything, but when i press test i don't hear anything. Ironically my headphones worked fine with FEAR (a windows game) in Wine, i just plugged them in and the sound came out

Edit:
                omg its working now (and by now i mean right now, it prolly won't work in the future, or once i restart ). I have no idea what i did, when i pulli the headphones out, the sound switches to the laptop speakers, and once i put the speakers in, it automatically switches to the headphones again. Just like it should, perfect ))
                Using Amarok btw

Comment

Code:
                  omg its working now
                  Miracles and updates happen every day. It's wise to upgrade distro at least a month after release.

When I had read your post I ran to try my USB speakers in VLC and it works now, even after restart.

Comment

Originally posted by josefko
                    Code:
                    omg its working now
                    Miracles and updates happen every day. It's wise to upgrade distro at least a month after release.

When I had read your post I ran to try my USB speakers in VLC and it works now, even after restart.
                    It only works with amarok, no other media player works :/

Comment

It turned out that I can listen with USB speakers only 1. and 7. episode of the serial season I watch now and some movies. So, no change at all.

Comment

Working...
                      X