Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Interesting discovery from the proposed repos!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting discovery from the proposed repos!

I have been running Kubuntu 9.10 for a while now and had some quirks that were bugging me. I had installed all of the normal updates but some things just were not working right.

001- Firefox would randomly slow to a crawl and freeze up the system. I never knew when this was going to happen and it might go all day without the issue or it might happen fairly often throughout the day.

002- Randomly at boot my monitor would go out of range and a hard reboot would finally get the desktop to load. Again, I never knew when this was going to happen but it was getting on my nerves.

I read through all of the updates in the proposed repo and thought to myself, it's worth a try... Well, I installed the updates and the problems are gone! Now boot up is seamless, now more black screen between the xsplash and the KDE splash and boot time is better by at least a few seconds. Firefox has behaved all day, no slowdowns or lock ups.

I should mention that I am using on-board Intel graphics and an Acer 15" wide screen monitor. I do not recommend using the proposed updates normally but in this case these updates made a huge difference on my hardware. I like the boot experience now that is working like it should! I had thought there was too much of a gap between the xsplash and the KDE splash and it turned out I was correct. Hopefully these updates will make it into the main repos.

Re: Interesting discovery from the proposed repos!

Interesting; what version of Firefox do you have installed? An update for Firefox just came down in the main update repos, and it's now firefox_3.5.3+build1+nobinonly-0ubuntu6_all

Haven't noticed either problem, but I mainly use Konqueror and, when forced to, Chromium (from the SVN PPA), and although it seemed to be fine I haven't used my Karmic+Intel laptop in a bit since two weeks ago the hard drive started skipping

Comment

Re: Interesting discovery from the proposed repos!

I was using the latest version of Firefox. The most interesting thing about using the proposed updates is the difference in how the system boots up. The newer kernel and xorg packages fixed something in the video sub system as far as my hardware is concerned, it's 100% better now.

Comment

Working...
      X